VMware Cloud Community
SandraV
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare image with BSD and DummyNet

Hello,

I've installed VMware EXSi 5.0 and now, I'm trying to install on VMware a VMWare image with BSD and DummyNet already set up (I've gotten the file from this blog http://codefromthe70s.org/dummynet.aspx).

I have followed these steps:

1. Create a new virtual machine

With Guest Operation System: Free BSD (64 bit)

2. Go to Configuration/Storage/Browse Datastore and upload the file (VMWare image with BSD and DummyNet already set up - FreeBSDDisk.vmdk)

Images_storage.jpg

3. Click right on the virtual machine and edit settings

4. Choose CD/DVD drive 1

5. Browse the datastore ISO file

Storage_file.jpg

6. Connect a power on

At the end of installation, I've gotten this error:

Error.jpg

Please, someone knows what is happening?

Thanks so much for your help,

http://codefromthe70s.org/dummynet.aspx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The file you have there is a vmdk, or virtual hard disk, not a CDrom ISO.

when creating your VM, on the hard disk configuration, you should have selected 'Use an existing virtual disk' instead of creating a new one.

You can still do this now, by removing the hard disk already present in your VM, and adding a new one.

For the new disk, select the 'Use Existing' option, and browse the datastore for your uploaded vmdk.

It's best to remove the old disk, close the 'edit settings' to apply the change, reopen 'edit settings' and add the new disk.

This way you are sure the new disk gets added with SCSI id 0,0 and becomes the first disk of your VM.

But that VMDK file probably isn't ESX(i) compatible.

If it's a single file, it's meant for Workstation or Player, not vSphere.

You can convert it to a compatible format with the vmkfstools command (on the ESXi local or remote shell, or remote cli).

Another option to convert it, is by creating a VM in Vmware player, using your VMDK, and then use the free standalone Vmware Converter to migrate it to you ESXi host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The file you have there is a vmdk, or virtual hard disk, not a CDrom ISO.

when creating your VM, on the hard disk configuration, you should have selected 'Use an existing virtual disk' instead of creating a new one.

You can still do this now, by removing the hard disk already present in your VM, and adding a new one.

For the new disk, select the 'Use Existing' option, and browse the datastore for your uploaded vmdk.

It's best to remove the old disk, close the 'edit settings' to apply the change, reopen 'edit settings' and add the new disk.

This way you are sure the new disk gets added with SCSI id 0,0 and becomes the first disk of your VM.

But that VMDK file probably isn't ESX(i) compatible.

If it's a single file, it's meant for Workstation or Player, not vSphere.

You can convert it to a compatible format with the vmkfstools command (on the ESXi local or remote shell, or remote cli).

Another option to convert it, is by creating a VM in Vmware player, using your VMDK, and then use the free standalone Vmware Converter to migrate it to you ESXi host.

0 Kudos
coolboarderguy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for helping out, Patrick. Your explanation makes sense now, as of course, .vmdk stands for Virtual Machine Disk. I recall there were 4 files, so I think it's ESXi compatible. Sandra will confirm when she's back in the office Mon (now Fri evening here in OZ).

Mark

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i just downloaded the file to check what type it is, and it is a preconfigured vm for workstation/player.

In ws or player just go to 'open VM', select the VMX file, and you're done.

To get it into ESXi, you will  need to use converter, and use the option to convert a standalone VM to vSphere.

No guarantees it will work, however, since there are 'hardware' differences between the VM versions, and this image may not have the necessary drivers to run in an vSphere VM.

Or converter may not be able to convert it, which leaves the option i previously mentioned: create a new VM in vSphere, and convert the vmdk with vmkfstools.

0 Kudos
SandraV
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Patrick,

Your answer was so helpful.  Now, I'm running DummyNet on VSphere. I removed the old disk and installed a new one selecting 'Use Existing" option and it worked.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos