VMware Cloud Community
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMFS 3.31 expandable?

Can VMFS 3.31 datastores be expanded after upgrade to vSphere, or can only the new 3.33 (?) vSphere VMFS be dynamically expanded?

/Henrik

0 Kudos
22 Replies
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just tried it out. I can confirm that I could expand the VMFS 3.31 volume with a running VM on it when I connect to the host directly. No problems so far.

Strange that it can't be done via VC with 3.31? If I tear it down and recreate a brand new 3.33 volume, I CAN expand it via VC... Ah well...

/Henrik

0 Kudos
Smeagol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmm, after just doing this myself, I suspect what it is doing in effect is adding an extent by creating a new partition on the free space and extending the existing volume. Still a step forward in that it lets you use free space on an existing volume instead of insisting on a new LUN.

0 Kudos
mikrowiz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't think so. There's a limit on the number of extents you can add, but I don't believe there's a limit on the number of times you can expand the volume. I suspect what it is doing is more like what gparted or the resizing in Windows 2008 does, which is to actually increase the size of the partition.

0 Kudos