JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

VMDK3 virtual disk Not supported with vCenter Server 5.x?

Jump to solution

What does VMDK3 virtual disk Not supported with vCenter Server 5.x mean?  I've got hundreds of virtual machines that were created in VI3.5 and I've even got one ESX3.5 server still running.

Jason

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi

It means that in vSphere 5 you can't have any VMFS formatted datastores so you will need to upgrade them but be warned that only ESXi 5 can see VMFS5 datastores so i would recommend upgrading your hosts before upgrading the datastores. Personally i recommend deleting old datastores and recreating them as VMFS5 ones so that they gain the advanced features and block size VMFS5 has.

The upgrade procedure from VMFS3 to 5 is pasted below for your reference

Upgrading from VMFS-3 to VMFS-5

Can I upgrade while my virtual machines are running?

Yes.  Upgrading from VMFS-3 to VMFS-5 can be done on-the-fly (virtual  machines do not need to be powered-off, suspended, or migrated).

Do I have to use the command-line to upgrade to VMFS-5?

The upgrade to from VMFS-3 to VMFS-5 can be done either via the ESXi 5.0 command-line or via vSphere Client.
Note: Ensure that all ESX hosts accessing the LUN are already on ESXi 5.0.
  • To upgrade to VMFS-5 using the vSphere Client, Under Configuration > Storage, highlight the desired VMFS-3 datastore, and click on Upgrade to VMFS-5...
  • To upgrade to VMFS-5 using the ESXi host command-line, use the command:

# vmkfstools -T /vmfs/volumes/<VMFS3datastore>
My upgraded VMFS-5 does not have a 1MB block size. Why?

Upgraded  VMFS-5 partitions will retain the partition characteristics of the  original VMFS-3 datastore, including file block-size, sub-block size of  64K, etc. To take full advantage of all the benefits of VMFS-5, migrate  the virtual machines to another datastore(s), delete the existing  datastore, and re-create it using VMFS-5.
If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi   Compboy,

Hope you have also followed below link if not please have a look  .

as per my knowledge only Linked Mode id the main different  .

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.upgrade.doc%2FGUID-49E8A38B-...

"Life is never easy for those who dream"
0 Kudos
karthickvm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMDK 3 is Virtual Mahcine Hard-disk file created from ESX / ESXi 3.x.

Karthic.
vRNI TPM
0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi

It means that in vSphere 5 you can't have any VMFS formatted datastores so you will need to upgrade them but be warned that only ESXi 5 can see VMFS5 datastores so i would recommend upgrading your hosts before upgrading the datastores. Personally i recommend deleting old datastores and recreating them as VMFS5 ones so that they gain the advanced features and block size VMFS5 has.

The upgrade procedure from VMFS3 to 5 is pasted below for your reference

Upgrading from VMFS-3 to VMFS-5

Can I upgrade while my virtual machines are running?

Yes.  Upgrading from VMFS-3 to VMFS-5 can be done on-the-fly (virtual  machines do not need to be powered-off, suspended, or migrated).

Do I have to use the command-line to upgrade to VMFS-5?

The upgrade to from VMFS-3 to VMFS-5 can be done either via the ESXi 5.0 command-line or via vSphere Client.
Note: Ensure that all ESX hosts accessing the LUN are already on ESXi 5.0.
  • To upgrade to VMFS-5 using the vSphere Client, Under Configuration > Storage, highlight the desired VMFS-3 datastore, and click on Upgrade to VMFS-5...
  • To upgrade to VMFS-5 using the ESXi host command-line, use the command:

# vmkfstools -T /vmfs/volumes/<VMFS3datastore>
My upgraded VMFS-5 does not have a 1MB block size. Why?

Upgraded  VMFS-5 partitions will retain the partition characteristics of the  original VMFS-3 datastore, including file block-size, sub-block size of  64K, etc. To take full advantage of all the benefits of VMFS-5, migrate  the virtual machines to another datastore(s), delete the existing  datastore, and re-create it using VMFS-5.
If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
bhwong7
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a confusion here? The question asked is on VMDK but the reply is on VMFS.

I also like to find out how to find out if my VMs are using VMDK2 or VMDK3 disks and what will happen if I migrate my VMs to run on ESXi 5.5?

0 Kudos