VMware Cloud Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VM Hardware Upgrade

Going to be upgrading from version 6.7 U3 to 7 and was curious if i needed to upgrade the hosts prior to upgrading the VM hardware on each VM?currently all hosts are on 6.7.  Any comments or suggestions are welcome  Thanks 

Thank you, Perry
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> and was curious if i needed to upgrade the hosts prior to upgrading the VM hardware on each VM?

You cannot run VMs with a virtual hardware version higher the supported on a given host.
So yes, the hosts have to be upgraded prior to upgrading the VM's virtual hardware version.

André

View solution in original post

2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@Super6VCA 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Upgrade & Install Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> and was curious if i needed to upgrade the hosts prior to upgrading the VM hardware on each VM?

You cannot run VMs with a virtual hardware version higher the supported on a given host.
So yes, the hosts have to be upgraded prior to upgrading the VM's virtual hardware version.

André