VMware Cloud Community
araczek
Contributor
Contributor

VCenter SQL running on a VM - how to migrate to new VSphere

Hi,

I have SQL server running on a VM in ESX 3. The Vcenter SQL is running off of that SQL server. I want to move all the virtuals over to a new VSphere server on better hardware. Got to thinking how would I migrate the SQL server over with VSphere if I had the (new) VSphere SQL running off this same SQL server.

Trying to keep the number of SQL servers down.

Would it then be possible to migrate the SQL VM over to the new server? Since VShere will need the SQL server I would think this would not be possible. Maybe I need to bring up another SQL server for VSphere and migrate the SQL over to the VM?

...Alan

0 Kudos
10 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Note: This discussion was moved from the VMware ESX 4 community to the vSphere Upgrade & Install community.

Do you have shared storage, or will the old and new envrionments be "connected" at any time?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
araczek
Contributor
Contributor

Storage will not be shared They will be able to "talk" to each other though.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

OK, a few more questions.

How big is your current vi3 environment?

How big is the new environment going to be?

What version of SQL Server are you using?

What OS, including 32-bit or 64-bit) is your vCenter Server running on?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
araczek
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Environment is not very big about 18 VM's, one ESX server and one Virtual Center server. Currently VM's are stored on a NetApp.

New Environment will not be much bigger at all, this is a development LAN. Currently using SQL 2005. "Old" VC is running on Server

2003 Standard i386. New server will be Server 2003 Ent x64. VCenter and SQL are on seperate servers.

My concern is that with my VC SQL on a VM that will get migrated over I would assume I would have a problem if VC cannot get to SQL

during the move. Another note the AQL server runs other databases for other apps.

...AR

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

To be honest - with such a small environment, I'd just build a new VC and move my VMs.

You can disconnect hosts from a VC at any time and add them to a new VC without shutting down VMs

You can also shut down a VC without bringing down your VMs or ESX hosts, so it is very low risk.

Good luck

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
araczek
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, thanks. Could you possibly give me more detail on disconnecting? Please see beginning of thread.

What is being done is this:

- New VSphere Server being brought up - totally diff server new HW

- New ESX 4.1 being brought up - totally diff server new HW

- Migrate all VM's from old to new which includes SQL VM

- SQL for present VCenter is on SQL VM

- Hoping to use the SQL VM for the NEW VSphere when I bring it up

I hope I am being clear, not confusing. Say I just installed VSphere and used the SQL on the VM in the old ESX server.

HOW would I get that VM into the new ESX 4.1 and the new VSphere? Not looking to use the same host, a different host

on new hardware.

Am I missing something? The SQL VM I am sure would need to be shut down to copy it over, correct? No Vmotion here.

0 Kudos
cblomart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As you might have undestood... while considerong moving to a totaly new infrastructure (hosts / san). But doing a vc upgrade...

-Install new hardware (servers/san/network...)

-Install ESX 4.1 on it.

-clone your vc and sql (localy on the old infra).

-copy cloned vms to new san

-connect directly to a new esx with vsphere client.

-register copied vms in it (browse datastore).

-shutdown old vc & sql

-start the cloned ones (trought an esx directly).

-upgrade to vc 4.1

-register new esxs

-upgrade vmware tools

-upgrade virtual hardware

-migrate the rest of the vms

-upgrade tools then hardware

I hereby consider that the SQL is dedicated to vcenter. If not consider stoping what depends on SQL before clone (evetualy the clone is not even usefull), this to avoid data desynchronisation of data.

There will be downtime.... (people are less used to it with virtualization).

0 Kudos
AlanRac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks so much cblomart (?!) for taking the time.:smileygrin:

0 Kudos
AlanRac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

More questions - can I use VMware converter to migrate this SQL VM?

Also note I do not want to migrate VM's en-masse. Want to do them one at a time. Thre is VSphere and ESX already running

on another server.

- register copied vm's in it (browse datastore) ---> How, add to favorites? Been a while.

- register new esx's - explain

Thanks

0 Kudos
cblomart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can use vmware converter to do the migration tought i would not advise it. VMware Converter will make a copy of the data from within a server to a virtual machine with the help of an agent for hot migration or a livecd for cold migration.

As stated i would advise a simply vopy the vm files. This would be done directly on the ESX(s) copying files with "cp" to the new san. If you can't present the disks to the old esxs "scp" will allow you to copy over the network.

Got a vCenter and new ESX running... i thought you did want to keep and upgrade vCenter and DB. Starting from zero (totaly new infrastructure) is sure more simple. You'll lose data tought (vcenter database = vm inventory + stats)

To register the copied vms... I don't understand the favorites part (it's not done trought ie or firefox)... Open vCenter client. Connect to an ESX (new one). Select the summary tab. Right click on the datastore you placed your vm on and select browse datastore. A window will open to see the content of the datastore. Select the folder were your "new" vm is and locate the "vmx". Right click on it and select add to inventory.

If you are building a new infrastructure, you will need to add new ESXs to vCenter in other therms "register new esxs".

0 Kudos