VMware Cloud Community
enigma26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCenter 4 error

Just completed the upgrade from VCenter 2.5 to VCenter 4.

When I try to connect to the VCenter server via vSphere Client; the following error msg pops up:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I click OK and it lets me continue and I am able to see all my Hosts anyway. Has anyone seen this msg? Can anyone tell me how I can make it go away?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a2alpha
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you had update manager before, and the update manager plugin is installed in the client you are using you might get that error.

Definately try the client to hosts. I got this error on our ESX 3.5 DR servers, I was using the vSphere client to connect to it.

Also do you get the error whether you connect to virtualcenter from the client on the vcenter machine and also when you connect remotely from another machine with the client on it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Have you got Update Manager installed on your vcenter?

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you upgraded your hosts to ESX 4 and if so, do you still get the error message when you make a direct connection with the client to the individual hosts.

0 Kudos
enigma26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looking at the VCenter server right now and I do not see Update Manager.

Do I need to install it on the VCenter server?

0 Kudos
enigma26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not yet. The hosts that are recognized by VCenter are all ESX 3.x servers.

I have one ESX 4 server that is brand new but is not yet added to VCenter.

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you had update manager before, and the update manager plugin is installed in the client you are using you might get that error.

Definately try the client to hosts. I got this error on our ESX 3.5 DR servers, I was using the vSphere client to connect to it.

Also do you get the error whether you connect to virtualcenter from the client on the vcenter machine and also when you connect remotely from another machine with the client on it.

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Update manager can be installed on the virtualcenter server or another server providing it has a connection back to the virtualcenter server.

0 Kudos
enigma26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are right. I just tried installing vSphere client on another PC without the upgrade manager and I do not get the error on it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Excellent, glad its sorted.

Dan

0 Kudos