Here is the scenario.
Original Physical VCenter Server was a 32bit Windows 2003 R2 DC machine with SQL2005 installed locally.
The new server that is going to house VCenter Server is a virtual machine, running Windows 2008 R2 DC, with a seperate VM running SQLServer 2008.
Prior to installing 4.1 on the new server, I stopped services on the original. Backed up the database. Restored the database to the new SQLserver. I Changed the new server's name and IP to match the original. I also copied the SSL Certs from the original to the new machine.
I created the new system dsn using SQL Native Client on the the new machine. I complete the install of Vcenter. After the install, the VCenter Server Service continues to stop and start every 5 seconds or so.
I started over and did the same thing a second time, except this time I chose the option to overwrite the database. After doing it this way, the install completes and I'm able to connect to the new vcenter server with the Vclient. This leads me to believe something is amiss with the database, but I'm not sure.
What am I doing wrong here. I simply want a fresh install of VCenter Server on a new machine rather than upgrading the old machine.
if you wiped the DB, then it's going to be tough to troubleshoot the exact issue. You may have some event logs you can go through on your vCenter Host OS that may help in identifying what the problem was.
The original server and database still exist. I simply keep restoring the database to the new sqlserver each time I attempt an install.
In the event log, 2 events show up every 2 minutes. The first saying, "Starting the VCenter Server Service." The second is Event ID 1000, with no description.
I have also tried shrinking the database log as I read that this can cause this issue, to no avail.
Event ID 1000 usually is related to IIS or something else listening on port 80, which conflicts with the vCenter Server Service. However, I would ensure, like you are doing, there are no space issues with the existing DB.
Also, on the vCenter 4.1 media is a pre-upgrade agent check. You should, if you haven't already, run that.
No space issues. The database is rather small, and the log is very small(and shrinked/simple).
IIS is not installed on the server, and this is a fresh Windows install. The only thing that was installed was windows updates and vcenter.
I followed the following steps just FYI.
When I try to run the Agent Pre-Upgrade check, the program doesn't start. However this isn't an upgrade, It is a fresh install.