VMware Cloud Community
FedericoV
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCSA upgrade 6.7 to 7.0 fails on Stage 2 step 1 at 50% with "Unable to authenticate user"

I'm unable to complete the upgrade process, and I'm unable to understand how to fix it.
Fortunately I can still restart the old VCSA, but I cannot complete the upgrade

I hope the following logs can put someone smarter than me to the right direction

error.jpg

If it helps, I can copy the 10MB support bundle

VCSA ISO:  VMware-VCSA-all-7.0.2-18356314.iso 

firstbootStatus.jason reports: "failedSteps": "vpostgres-firstboot"

Indeed the file below has an error message

vpostgres-firstboot.py_52704_stderr.log

2021-09-21T22:43:08.875Z Upgrade import step failed
2021-09-21T22:43:08.875Z vPostgres firstboot(action=firstboot) failed

Unfortunately the file below does not report any error and ends with the copied few lines

vpostgres-firstboot.py_52704_stdout.log

ALTER TABLE
Successfully restarted service vmware-vpostgres
2021-09-21T22:43:08.875Z Removing temp file /tmp/tmpcfyl153w
2021-09-21T22:43:08.875Z Removing temp file /tmp/tmpx0a73gt9
2021-09-21T22:43:08.875Z Removing temp file /tmp/tmpsk28tc5c
2021-09-21T22:43:08.875Z Removing temp file /tmp/tmpd6xnxsrp
2021-09-21T22:43:08.876Z Removing temp file /tmp/tmpqlop0hhq
2021-09-21T22:43:08.876Z Removing temp file /tmp/tmpp2t4l9lu
2021-09-21T22:43:08.876Z Removing temp file /tmp/tmps9kks0yz

The following file reports an error, and the last lines are attached

firstbootInfrastructure.log

2021-09-21T22:42:17.43Z INFO firstbootInfrastructure Running firstboot script: ['/opt/vmware/bin/python', '/usr/lib/vmware-vpostgres/firstboot/vpostgres-firstboot.py', '--action', 'firstboot', '--compkey', 'vpostgres', '--errlog', '/var/log/firstboot/vpostgres-firstboot.py_52704_stderr.log']
2021-09-21T22:43:08.915Z INFO firstbootInfrastructure [Failed] /usr/lib/vmware-vpostgres/firstboot/vpostgres-firstboot.py is complete
2021-09-21T22:43:08.923Z INFO firstbootInfrastructure No localized error detail found in /var/log/firstboot/vpostgres-firstboot.py_52704_stderr.log, assuming internal error
2021-09-21T22:43:08.925Z WARNING firstbootInfrastructure Bug component info file does not exist
2021-09-21T22:43:08.925Z INFO firstbootInfrastructure Firstboot duration: 86 sec
2021-09-21T22:43:08.926Z INFO firstbootInfrastructure First boot is a failure
2021-09-21T22:43:08.927Z ERROR firstbootInfrastructure Installation of vCenter server failed with firstboot scripts
2021-09-21T22:43:08.927Z WARNING firstbootInfrastructure stopping status aggregation...

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FedericoV
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I didn't find a solution for 7.0.2, but I could wait and finally retried with 7.0.3 and it worked straight at the first attempt. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

Did you check the passwords (administrator and root) before upgrading?

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
FedericoV
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, they are OK.
The error is on the new VCSA, and it pops-up after the old VCSA has been powered off by the upgrade tool.

Indeed, my administrator@vsphere.local is just one letter (it is an integration lab, no production here), I had to modify the password policy to get it accepted. Maybe there is a bug on this uncommon configuration.

Picture1.png

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

eh! as i thought, there was an account problem. Great!

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
DanielCostello
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for posting about this.  I'm having the same issue, were you able to find a solution?

0 Kudos
FedericoV
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I didn't find a solution for 7.0.2, but I could wait and finally retried with 7.0.3 and it worked straight at the first attempt. 

0 Kudos
DanielCostello
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response!  I'm actually trying it 7.0.3 and having the issue.  I'll update here if I'm able to get it to work.

0 Kudos
cth71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

any luck?  Same ussie upgrading to 7u3

0 Kudos
DanielCostello
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No answer yet.  I have a ticket open with VMWare, hopefully we will meet today, and I'll share what I find.  Cross your fingers for a solution.  

0 Kudos
DanielCostello
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Alrighty, I just hung up with VMWare.  Looks like the GUI installer has a bug.  Once you get to the point we were looking at where it sticks at 50%, login into the appliance page of the new IP using the new root pw you chose:

https://<newIP>:5480 

Here you can see the status of the update as it continues.  Eventually it will log you out because the IP change completed, and you are done.  What I didn't know is that a "vCLS-***" Machine appears in 7 which needs to exist as part of the cluster (if you have one).

Hope this helps you and others!

DanielCostello
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Federico, just a heads up I was able to work with VMWare and have the solution below.

0 Kudos
cth71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interesting, so even though it looks like the GUI has stopped, the upgrade is continuing?  I will give that a shot when I get a chance.  Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DanielCostello
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, exactly.  Before working with support I was confused because I was able to login into Vcenter and see it was 7.0 and things looked good, but the gui was stalled.  The :5480 interface will give you the real current status.

Good luck!

cth71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How long would you say it took to complete?  I'm back to the point where I get the 'unable to authenticate user' during stage 2 of the upgrade.  I tried to access the appliance, but that just spins, so right now I cannot check the status.  I'll give it some more time and see what happens.

0 Kudos
DanielCostello
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It completed within 15 minutes.  It may have already completed.  Log into the original IP, see if Vcenter comes up.  If it does, check version and see if its 7.  If you're not seeing that, try connecting to the temp IP you specified when starting the migration https://IP::5480 

If none of that works, what are you seeing on when accessing the original Vcenter IP?

cth71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It did complete, probably around 15-20 minutes.  Thanks for posting on this.

tonbkfs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does anyone know if there are any installation log(s) that we can verify that the upgrade process is 100% completed giving this issue (bug) with the GUI timing out in Phase 2?

0 Kudos
padapa2022
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Agree with Daniel,

I just had this same issue when Upgrading from vcsa 6.5 U3 to 7.0 U3d and I followed Daniel's advice and logged into the vcsa vami interface using the old IP and it worked !

Pradeep Adapa
mOUs3yNATOR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where your VCSA install media was unzipped too, there is a folder in there with the logs from the UI.

0 Kudos
Atif_YNI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for this 🙂