VMware Cloud Community
raistlin1981
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCSA server upgrade to 6.0 question

So I partially posted in another thread but now think it's worthy of it's own question and explanation.

I have 2 sites with a VCSA 5.5 deployed to each and now want to add vRA to the environment so before adding I want to get over to 6.0.  From what I see it's a general idea that when in doubt separate the psc from vcenter.  So how do I go from VCSA 5.5 to VCSA 6.0 with external PSC?  I've seen some mention of changing the environment before upgrading to 6 but I believe that's all windows based installations; as I can't find any external sso type of appliance for version 5.5 (identity server didn't work).  I decided to try and deploy to vcsa 5.5 and psc 6.0 then run through the vm kb 2094888 but no luck there.  I'm trying to avoid using the inventory backup / restore tool but it's the only option I can find.

So to summarize how to upgrade VCSA 5.5 to VCSA with external psc 6.0?

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
akodenkiri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Only upgrades from vCenter Server Appliance 5.1 U3 or newer and 5.5 with embedded SSO are supported. vCenter Server Appliance 5.1 U2 or older are not supported. vCenter Server Appliance 5.1 U3 or newer and 5.5 with external SSO are not supported. A supported upgrade path is planned for a future release.

Please go through vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center for more details on VCSA upgrade and Upgrading to vCenter Server 6.0 best practices (2109772) knowledge base article.

Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards ak

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
akodenkiri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Only upgrades from vCenter Server Appliance 5.1 U3 or newer and 5.5 with embedded SSO are supported. vCenter Server Appliance 5.1 U2 or older are not supported. vCenter Server Appliance 5.1 U3 or newer and 5.5 with external SSO are not supported. A supported upgrade path is planned for a future release.

Please go through vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center for more details on VCSA upgrade and Upgrading to vCenter Server 6.0 best practices (2109772) knowledge base article.

Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards ak
0 Kudos
raistlin1981
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you.  The "vCenter Server Appliance 5.1 U3 or newer and 5.5 with external SSO are not supported." is what I couldn't seem to find but I did find there was no supported way to change from the embedded psc to an external once installed.  Guess I'll keep my eye out for the later release.

0 Kudos