DarrellC1967
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA from 65. To 6.7 u3 failing

I have been attempting to upgrade our VCSA from 65. To 6.7 u3 but after the details are entered and next is selected, I am greeted with the following message at the top of the screen:

Failed to get an SSL thumbprint of the appliance server certificate for 172.x.x.x (which is the Host where the VCSA will reside.

Upon opening the logs I see the following

error: Could not get certificate fingerprint from host, 172.x.x.x: Error: connect ETIMEDOUT 172.x.x.x:443

2020-09-23T15:11:55.297Z - error: Could not get response in 30000 ms

In nearly all of the searches I have come across it says to run the migration assistant, but this is only applicable when migrating from Windows VCenter to VCenter appliance.  I am upgrading VCSA to VCSA

Any help will be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems that the place you are launching the update from cannot reach your old VCSA

Still it's just a guess work

Can you show the last screen where you provide the data before you hit this error ?

0 Kudos
DarrellC1967
Contributor
Contributor

It sees the old VCSA as soon as connect to source.

It is when I put the ESXi host details in and click on next that I get the error

'Failed to get an SSL thumbprint of the appliance server certificate for 172.x.x.x (the ip address here is of the host server where the appliance lives)

0 Kudos
ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you open this ESXi address in your browser ?

0 Kudos
vTara
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi DarrellC1967,

From the windows machine where you are trying upgrade your VCSA appliance, do you have any VMware Client plugins installed ? If yes, try to remove that plugin and then retry the VCSA upgrade.

Regards

Tami

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If this IP is the destination ESXi where you are deploying the temporary vCenter as part of the upgrade then the issue is clear, from the machine you are running the wizard you cannot reach the ESXi over port 443.

0 Kudos