VMware Cloud Community
BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrading vSphere to 7.0 before upgrading ESXi hosts

My VCSA's are currently running v6.7.0 build 15976728; my hosts are running 6.0 and 6.7.0, 13004448.

This may seem to be a dumb question, but: Is there any disadvantage to upgrading the VCSA's to the latest 7.0, and leaving the hosts as-is?

The reason I ask is that I'm needing to deploy some single esxi hosts to remote sites, which I will then add to vCenter. I'd like to build them as esxi v7 rather than 6.7.0 to prevent having to shut down the remote site just to upgrade to v7 later.

(I did build one with esxi v7, but my 6.7 vcsa cannot handle v7.)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

my hosts are running 6.0 and 6.7.0, 13004448.

Caution: This won't work. vCenter Server 7.0 only supports ESXi 6.5, and later. See VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

André

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No.... very common approach. Not every host hardware is certified for 7.0 but having a vCenter with latest vSphere Client is nice.  Keep in mind that if you have something on top of vCenter like Horizon you need this to be updated first. Also all 3rd. Party plugins needs updated to support VCSA 7.0 with html5 interface only.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

my hosts are running 6.0 and 6.7.0, 13004448.

Caution: This won't work. vCenter Server 7.0 only supports ESXi 6.5, and later. See VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

André

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I think your path is correct, but also keep in mind that your 6.0 hosts are out of support and you should upgrade whenever possible

Warm regards

0 Kudos
BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good catch a.p.; thank you! Looks like I need to either upgrade those 6.0 hosts, or remove them from vsphere and just manage them individually.

0 Kudos