VMware Cloud Community
sc_21111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading to 4.1

we have a a farm of ESX 3.5 with VC 2.5 on a physical host.

Now we're moving to vsphere 4.1 and I'd like to share some knowledge about vcenter server placement.

As 4.1 supports only x64 OS we are forced to migrate VC to another server and decided to go virtual.

Any recommendation or suggestions about that ?

To migrate the VC DB I thought to install MSDE on the new VC server and move the DB manually and then create a dsn for it before starting vcenter installation , would it be fine ?

thanks

SC

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RAMESA
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

if you are using express bundled database that come in installer no need to install MSDE.

Use migration tool that is part of vc installer; it will take care of installing sql express2005 and migrating your data.

Please follow below guide -

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf

Section - Upgrading to vCenter Server 4.1

Page 37, section - Back Up VirtualCenter or vCenter Server Configuration with the Data

Migration Tool

Regards,

Ramesh

Regards, Ramesh
sc_21111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

I've used the datamigration tool and all went fine , at least in the log I found no errors , but when I connect to the virtual center I see no data center imported and no hosts.

What is missing in the tasks ?

thanks

SC

0 Kudos
RAMESA
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

which is the database you are using with legacy VC.

If it is db installed with vc then you are go ahead and on 64bit server select option to install db.

If it is custom db then you need to configure dsn on new server pointing to old vc.

Can you please upload the log files?

regards,

Ramesh

Regards, Ramesh
0 Kudos
sc_21111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The source db is the builtin DB ( MSDE instance ) .

When run the install part on the new server I selected "create a new instance"

attached the log files

0 Kudos
RAMESA
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

backup and restore process seem to have complete properly without any issue.

Was there any data in the database previously? Are you sure you are using right db pre-backup?

Can you please upload the database dumps that were backed up?

Regards,

Ramesh

Regards, Ramesh
0 Kudos
sc_21111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The source DB should contain data as is the DB connected to the old VC.

In any Case I ran the backup command and then copied all the datamigration folder to the new host and ran the install.

At the moment ,as I'm in a hurry , I decided to go with the old method .

I copied the DB from the Old VC to the new SQL installed on the destination server .

I attached it , created the DSN and restarted the vcenter server installation ,see how it goes

SC

0 Kudos