VMware Cloud Community
esolano12
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading from ESXi 5.0 to ESXi 5.0 Update 2

Hi everyone!

I have a doubt regarding an upgrade of ESXi 5.0 to ESXi 5.0U2.

It is necessary to update vCenter Server when update ESXi 5.0 to ESXiU2?

If you want to know. I have 3 host with ESXi 5.0 and vCenter running on a Windows Server 2008 R2.

Thank you!

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Although it's best practice to have vCenter Server on the same or a higher version than the hosts, it's not necessary in this case. You can find all supported configurations in the VMware Product Interoperability Matrix

André

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Its not necessary to update your vCenter Server as stated above and refer the Interoperability matrix. Pretty handy guide

esolano12
Contributor
Contributor

Already check the Interoperability Matrix. Now I understand a little more about the update process.

Thank you so much!

I appreciated your help guys!

0 Kudos
kostastsatsaron
Contributor
Contributor

I have read about the upgrade path from the Interoperability Matrix but I would like to ask if is possible to install to my ESXi Host 5.0 GA directly the latest patch or should I first install patch from 5.0 to 5.0U1 and then to 5.0U2 and finally the latest patch?

This is silly question but I cannot find a clear answer to the documentation or the KB articles of each release. They only mention what are the fixes.

Please let me know if you have tried something similar. I do not have any Update Manager so I will go with CLI procedure.

Thank you very much

Konstantinos

0 Kudos