VMware Cloud Community
bubbawny69
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading a Dell Poweredge with VMWARE from Dell (Free) 5.1 to 5.5

Hi folks:

I'm looking for some information and advice today.

We have a single Dell PowerEdge with (2) 8-core Intel CPUs running a Dell version of VMWARE ESX 5.1. I don't think we ever bought a license, just used the one from Dell. Today, we have purchased VMWARE 5.5 Essentials.

I was looking online and Dell has a VMWARE ISO for 5.5. THe thing is, i'm not sure if I should use that ISO or not to upgrade our Single Dell Server or not.

When I tried using VEEAM to do a backup in preparation, it says that the version of ESXi that we are running is not supported. IS that because it's kind of the free one from Dell?

If we use the new Dell 5.5 ISO to upgrade, will we still not be able to use it because it's somehow a free version?

I'm undertaking a project to put a licensed version of VMWARE 5.5 in today, along with a licensed copy of VEEAM. THIs isn't a VMWARE question about VEEAM. It's more of a question about why the Dell partner ISO for 5.1 triggers VEAM and other backup solutions to say they are not supported.

If I want to upgrade my existing single server to VMWARE 5.5, I guess I just am looking for help on how to ensure that in the end, it's fully representing the licenses we purchased. I would normally think of using a partner specific ISO, like the 5.5 ISO from DELL. It's just that in the end, I want to make sure that it's fully licensed and works with 3rd party applications.

Any answers and help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
bubbawny69
Contributor
Contributor

PS. Can I take my 5.5 license key and use it on this 5.1 node to convert it from free edition to commercial?

The reason I ask is because then I wonder if I would then be able to use VEEAM 7 to get a full backup prior to trying to do the upgrade to VMWARE 5.5.

So I'm wondering if I can use the 5.5 key on my 5.1 host and then run vEAM backup and then after I know I have a full backup, then do the upgrade to 5.5?

0 Kudos
kashifkarar01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

The best option would be to go-ahead and upgrade your ESXi 5.1 host (Which has OEM image) to vSphere 5.5 using the .iso file downloaded from VMware website which has the DELL Logo. Then use the newly purchased vSphere 5.5 essential license. That should fix the issue even if you have any compatibilities  with third party applications.

I have tested veeam backup with ESXi 5.5 and there were no such issues occurred.

bubbawny69
Contributor
Contributor

Hi friend.

Thank you. I"ll download that ISO today and follow the guidance you are offering here.

I've never upgraded a node before with an ISO. So this is new to me. I've only done new installs.

I"m hoping the installation process detects and existing installation, preserves the datastore which is on that server, and just updates that server from 5.1 free to 5.5 licensed. Makes me nervous in that I"ve never done it before and want to ensure that it goes as seemlessly as possible.

0 Kudos
kashifkarar01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, when we use the .iso file to upgrade via virtual drive during the installation it asks you to preserve the data and upgrade.

pastedImage_0.png

You can refer the following KB:

Use the section: Upgrade or migrate interactively using an ESXi installer ISO image on CD/DVD or USB flash drive

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=205835...

0 Kudos
Punitsolanki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We always recommended customer using OEM ( Dell Image ) for 5.x releases as that will have good amount of drivers needed for the hardware.

About Veeam not recognizing the iso then there is an issue on Veeam end , Setup a call with veeam and get the inputs from them.

I would say using iso from vmware site or from the vendor does not stop backup or replication jobs for the VMs.

Punit Solanki psolanki@vmware.com
0 Kudos
kashifkarar01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Punit,

Now when we go to vmware website and download the esxi 5.5 image which has the Dell logo it gives all the required drivers.

0 Kudos
Punitsolanki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Can you please share me the link you are referring to ?

I do not see DELL ISO in there..

0 Kudos
Punitsolanki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is no DELL image under OEM on vmware site for Vsphere 5,5 as per your link.

So download it from dell site.

0 Kudos