VMware Cloud Community
rlink7549
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading VCenter from 6.5 to 6.7

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first question.

I am trying to upgrade my vCenter Server from 6.5 to 6.7 to have the new HTML5 version. I ran the upgrade and the "pre upgrade checks" returned this error:

Error

1 host(s) will be incompatible with upgraded vCenter Server.

Resolution

Upgrade outdated hosts to 6.0 or above. Read Knowledge Base Article 52883.

The host is already at 6.5:

rlink7549_0-1612544042373.png

I found the same issue in another question here:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-vSphere-Discussions/Upgrading-VCenter-from-6-5-to-6-7/td-p/...

When I try to follow the suggestion of changing the data in the vpx_host table, nothing happens. I don't know SQL and am not a coder but can follow instructions and examples. Here is where I got stuck was after I ran the command: /opt/vmware/vpostgres/9.4/bin/psql -d VCDB postgres

I was at VCDB#.

No matter what I typed, the screen just went back to VCDB#. 

I have searched the internet for any information about this situation but couldn't find any solution.

I am logged into the vCenter server with root. 

The other option seems to be to disconnect the host and remove it from inventory then add it back. I only have the one host and I'm unsure of the ramifications of doing this. I don't know what will change and if/how I can get it added back. We don't have support from vmware (we haven't had any issues that I haven't been able to work through so far and the hardware for our host can't support anything past 6.5U3 and my boss doesn't want to upgrade right now) and with almost no knowledge or experience with SQL, I felt like this was my best option. I'm probably overlooking some small but important step or issue.

I do greatly appreciate any help that anyone can give.

Thanks in advance,

Rusty

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @rlink7549 ,

If it's just a single ESXi host, it would be easier to disconnect and reconnect it to vCenter instead of testing the database. If your ESXi host is configured with standard virtual switches and not distributed switches, there are no other solutions(VMware or 3rd party) registered with this vCenter or ESXi hosts, you are good to disconnect the host and add it back.

Note: If your ESXi hosts are configured with distributed switches, you need to move the networking to standard switches before disconnecting from vC.

VMs will continue to run on ESXi host even after disconnecting from vC. Changes: Host, VMs will get new object IDs in vC DB and historical performance data will be lost.

Hope that helps.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem

0 Kudos
rlink7549
Contributor
Contributor

Hello ashilkrishnan,

Thanks for the information.

The host is configured with standard virtual switches so all is good there. I do use Veeam Backup and Replication for our VM backups. I'm guessing that removing the host would cause an issue with this? My thinking was that just changing the product version and build in the table like the post from the link that I pasted suggested would be easier but when I ran into the issue of nothing appearing on my screen after I entered commands in the shell, decided to ask for help.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@rlink7549 ,

Once you are connected to DB, type \d and press enter(This should list all tables). Type q to go back to the prompt.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@rlink7549 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Upgrade & Install Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos