VMware Cloud Community
Sangokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrading VCenter from 5.1 to 5.5 - Problem with VClient and Inventory

Hi all,

I just upgraded our VCenter from 5.1 to 5.5. Everything finished successfully without warnings nor errors. Checked the SSL certificates were still valid.

Decided to upgrade the databases too.

Here is the problem:

If i use the webclient i have to use a logon name in the form user@domain and then i log successfully, but once logged the inventory is empty, no hosts at all.

If i use the VClient, it just does not work: connection failed (unable o connect to remote server).

I tried to fix it by re-installing the Inventory service, but after that the error is the same.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcwill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

We saw this, it is because under 5.5 AD inheritance behaves differently, in that it doesn't inherit any more.

If you follow the steps on the following link it should solve the problem for you.

vCenter Single Sign-On 5.5 Not Recognizing Nested Active Directory Groups | VMware vSphere Blog - VM...

Regards,

Iain

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

when were upgrading what database option u have choose ?..Also restart vcenter server and  inventory service...

also for time being if you have free host than you can install fresh vcenter 5.5  and  add host in vcenter check its working fine..or not..

0 Kudos
Sangokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I choose to upgrade the database

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Try with reboot the v center server..also you can try with fresh installation as  i mentioned above for the time being.

Your Oscar

0 Kudos
mcwill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

We saw this, it is because under 5.5 AD inheritance behaves differently, in that it doesn't inherit any more.

If you follow the steps on the following link it should solve the problem for you.

vCenter Single Sign-On 5.5 Not Recognizing Nested Active Directory Groups | VMware vSphere Blog - VM...

Regards,

Iain

0 Kudos
Sangokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fantastic!

Thanks Iain, that fixed my issue!

0 Kudos