VMware Cloud Community
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrading VCenter 3.5U4 to 4.1

Aloha,

This is where I am now -

A PowerEdge 2950 running VCenter 3.5U4 on 32bit 2k3 for four ESX 3.5U4 hosts. Database is on a separate SQL2k8 server

A second 2950 running 2k3 x64 with a connecting 64bit DSN to the database

The plan is to shut down the first machine and install VCenter 4.1 on the second machine. I have read the upgrade manual for this scenario

and I can't really determine this. Assuming the upgrade works, should my datacenter, cluster and hosts just magically appear in the new

4.1 client?? Or does all that have to be recreated?

Mahalo,

Bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you will have to copy the SSL folder out of the old vCenter server, and into the new, creating the directory structure prior to the install of vCenter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

before you start, you should copy out the SSL directory from the old and create a new DIR in the new vCenter Server.  But, yes you vCenter config will remain the same.

W2K3 path

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\SSL

W2K8x64

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\SSL

You will need to mkdir on your x64bit box

0 Kudos
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Aloha Troy,

Most likely I am over-complicating this, but that's me... At what point do I copy that folder? Do I create the directory structure before the install or can it be copied (and/or overwritten) after the fact? Will there be an empty SSL folder after the install??

Bill

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you will have to copy the SSL folder out of the old vCenter server, and into the new, creating the directory structure prior to the install of vCenter.

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Follow the below steps for easy migration:

1) copy the vCenter server 4.1 software in to your 64bit server and extract it.

2) copy the datamigration folder from vCenter server 4.1 software to 32 bit system (vCenter 2.5.x system) and run backup.bat file

- it takes the back up of your database configuration and ssl.

3) Once the script running completes, copy the datamigration folder from vCenter server 2.5.x system to new 64bit server.

4) Configure the 64bit DSN

5) Run install.bat script in the datamigration folder, it will ask for the vCenter 4.1 installation file location. provide the location that copied it previouslty.

6) This complete the upgrade.

Thanks

Nithin

--Nithin
0 Kudos
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why would I need to deal with data migration if my database is already on a stand-alone SQL server?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

now that I fully understand your  question, I can better answer.  You cannot have two active vCenters  using the same DB instance.  If you are going to use the same DB, you'll  have to copy the SSL folder from old to new, stop the vCenter Server  Service, rebuild the new, connecting to existing DB.  What will happen  is you will see all of your hosts in a disconnected not responding  state.  You will have to "connect" each host to install the new vCenter  agent.

If you cannot "connect" the hosts, see below for more instructions

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/5850444

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1001493

Just  remember to make a backup of your DB so you can revert if needed.   Also, remember, if you are managing VI3 Hosts, your license server will  need to remain online, or you'll have to install a standalone version.

0 Kudos