VMware Cloud Community
BDMcGrewVM
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading 7.0.2 to 8.0.1 Hanging w/Attribute Error

Hello, all,

I have a 3-node vSphere Essentials cluster running v7.  All three nodes are running on a matched trio of Supermicro SYS-6029-WTR hosts.  Supermicro indicates these systems are VMware certified.  This weekend I started down the path of upgrading to vSphere Essentials 8.  The vCenter server was no problem, smooth as glass.

When I boot any of the servers with the ISO and do an upgrade, I get to the point of starting the upgrade and get the box that reads "Scanning System... Gathering additional system information. This may take a few minutes.", and then the installer crahes.

The error is "An unexpected error occurred.  See logs for details.  AttributeError: "NoneType" object has no attribute 'path'. 

And I'm hung.

There is a screenshot attached.  I can't seem to find any log files either.  And, I'll point out that a few months back when trying to roll in a newer version of 7, I'd gotten the same error but eventually gave up.

I'm hoping someone might have some insights or a solution, please?  I've tried the googler and can't find anything relating to ESXi and this error.

Thanks,

-brian

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BDMcGrewVM
Contributor
Contributor

After trying to reboot my 3rd server back into ESXi 7, I'm getting VMware Hypervisor Recovery "No hypervisor found" on the screen and it' won't boot.  So, something happened during the failred upgrade.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Camero
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is it possible to attach the logs ?

Once you reboot the machine, log into the ESXi console and look for the log file with name "vua-X.log.gz"  under the dir  /var/log/  , extract the gz files and locate the file containing the error  "AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'id'.

Attach the log file to this post.

BDMcGrewVM
Contributor
Contributor

No, I can't get the machine to boot into ESXi at all.  After the failed upgrade it hangs at Hypervisor Recovery.  I tried the install again and this time, upgrade is not an option - it only let me do an install (so maybe the disk had been corrupted).  I tried a fresh install and got a similar (but different) error.  See 2nd attached screenshot below.

I'll also not that I was using IPMI Virtual Media.  Thinking that it may be an issue, I burned the media to a USB stick and tried a local boot as well but both ways yield same problem and result. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Camero
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Something more to do with either media. Can you check if the downloaded ISO has the proper checksum?

Without logs hard to provide any good pointer to resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
BDMcGrewVM
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, downloaded ISO has proper checksum.  And, this is reproducible on multiple machines!

0 Kudos