VMware Cloud Community
jbez1987
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading 5.0 to 5.1 w/ custom VIBs

Hi everyone,

We have recently just upgraded our 2 datacenters with vCenter Server 5.1 and vsphere client to 5.1... now it's time for the hosts to get their upgrades. Currently at the data center I have inserted my media and booted to the drive. I got as far as selecting which disk I want to store the software on. Once I choose my local internal drives of the server (all our hosts have the OS installed locally) I get the warning message. Some of you custum or 3rd party VIBs might not work correctly once you do the upgrade etc.. Please choose to either: Install or Force Migrate

I have read in vmware articles that if you are going from 4.1. or any earlier versions you want to do a force migrate of all the VIBs. However, if yo uare going from 5.0 to 5.1 then you can simply UPDATE/UPGRADE (dont recall which word) and DO NOT have to Force Migrate. The only two options I see are Install or Force Migrate

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for any answers/suggestions.

Jason

0 Kudos
7 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Third party VIB will be intact after upgrade

Here is reference link

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.update_manager.doc%2FGUID-C8...

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
jbez1987
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response. I have read that article. I get that it will be fine. I am unsure as to which choice to select in the above mentioned screen.

I have only two options: Install or Force Migrate. This is our production environment and I really have no room for error which is why there is no trial and error. I need a diffinitive answer before I press that Install button or Force Migrate button.

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

What is physical host, HP, Dell or any other. If it is from HP, DEll or IBM, then you have to use ESXi 5.1 image from these vendor since they will contain all the VIB, you will not see these option of migrate.

However if you choose migrate still all the third party information will be available ton upgraded ESXi 5.1

Note : If you have virtual machine located on local datastore of ESXi host, first take backup of it before upgrade.

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
jbez1987
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help Mohammed.

Unfortunately the esxi download from IBM did not work. It wouldn't even load the install files so I must continue to research the previous above question. For some reason our vmware support lapsed but I am in the proces of getting it renewed. If you or anyone else has any suggestions that would be greately appreciated. 

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

As per doc, even if you migrate third party setting will be intact in ESXI host

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
jwhites
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The IBM version didn't work for me either.  I ended up using the base ESXi 5.1 install, but had to use ImageBuilder to add the latest drivers for my broadcom cards.

I ran into an issue after trying to instal the IBM version that eventually NOTHING would upgrade with update manager, after installing 5.0 Update 2 it cleared the error and I was able to update the host with my custom image.

0 Kudos
jbez1987
Contributor
Contributor

Glad that helped for you. I wound up just removing the nexus 1000v.

I found that even though the cisco nexus is a great product it creates more load on the network infrastructure. Just using a vDS

0 Kudos