VMware Cloud Community
asp24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgraded to vCenter6. Empty inventory (but tasks, inventory lists etc ok)

I've upgraded from vCenter 5.5U2 to vCenter6. Everything works (including the Windows Client), but in the Web Client I get the message "empty inventory" when clicking on various tabs (datastores, hosts, vcenters, networking etc).

If I click on Inventory Lists I can find most elements. If I click on a datastore there, I can see the VMs running on that datastore etc.

I also see tasks going on in vCenter (migrations etc). I have checked permissions, and all seems OK. I have tried both domain and "SSO" (administrator@vcenter.local) logins, and the problem is the same.

I did the upgrade "offline", where vCenter only had access to the domain controller, in case of a upgrade failure the hosts agent would not be upgraded. All seemed good, so I let that happen. But then I noticed this problem after starting up vCenter connected to the network.

Any idea what could be the problem?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
asp24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Works now. I increased Inventory Service Java Heap size in "C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\invsvc\wrapper\conf\wrapper.conf".

I found no wrapper.java.maxmemory line, so I added it (guessed it would work after reading some equal lines in older versions).

I have restarted several times before this without any luck, so I think this was the thing fixing the problem.

I set the max to 2048

I tried changing this in the config-file in this folder first, but that did not help.

C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\cfg\java

0 Kudos