VMware Cloud Community
ncmsvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Upgraded VMware from 4 to 5 and some issues

We upgraded vCenter from 4 to 5 and the ESX from 4.0.0. to ESXi 5. We created cluster and configured shared SAN storage and vMotion and VMFT and we faced some issues which are:

• Before the upgrading process the VMs were moved automatically from ESX to another, but after upgrading, we are not able to enter the maintenance mode in the upgraded ESX servers because the VMs are not migrated automatically.

• The VMware tools in the VMs are out-of-date and not running, so it needed to install the VMware tools in them again. Why do you think we faced this issue? How can we avoid it?

• After upgrading, the SAN storage that is connected to the ESX disappeared, so we installed the appropriate hba drivers for ESXi and we are able to see the storage. BUT we noticed that the name of the hba drivers in the SAN switch are the same as before for ESX version 4

• The shared SAN storage were 100 GB and it has two VMs, each one has 30 GB space. Now the free space is 3 GB only, we need to know why the storage is consumed the 40 GB and for what?

Kindly find the snapshots of the errors.

If you have any idea about any of these issues, please share it with us.

Regards,

Naeema

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ncmsvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Here are other snapshots of the issues that we faced 

0 Kudos
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The configuration issue that you are facing is because of the HA that you enabling, you must add the advanced option to avoid the error come out. For your SAN switch, trying to make a refreshing, because still see the old information.

Every time your upgrade ESXi version you must upgrade your VMware Tools also that are reason your vmware tools is out-dated.

Just my one cents.

@ -- visit my blog at http://www.azmer.my -- @ virtue your mind @ KamilAzmer
0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There was an error called “host IPMI system vent logs” and I followed this article http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1033725 , and after I finished I got yellow explanation marks in the ESXi

Based on your screenshot, you have the yellow bang on your hosts for some pretty normal reasons.

1. Host has no management network redundancy - There's only one uplink that the management vmkernel can use, which is a single point of failure.
  2. Number of vSphere HA heartbeat datastores is 1 - You need at least 2 datastores for HA to satisfy datastore heartbeating, which is a new feature in vSphere 5. Again, this is to avoid a single point of failure.
  3. ESXi Shell enabled - This is recognized as a security risk, and is warning you so you remember to turn it off.
  4. SSH enabled - This is recognized as a security risk, and is warning you so you remember to turn it off.
  5. System logging not configured - It is a good idea to make sure the system is logging to a non volitile place, as by default the logs are lost when the host reboots. You can use the vCenter Syslog Collector if you wish.

The VMware tools in the VMs are out-of-date and not running, so it needed to install the VMware tools in them again. Why do you think we faced this issue? How can we avoid it?

This is normal for when a host is updated. VMware Tools is located locally on the host - if the host sees that VMs running on itself are not using the latest version, it prompts a warning to update. You can avoid upgrading until it is convenient to do so.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
ncmsvmware
Contributor
Contributor

I applied the below steps, but nothing changed, cannot enter maintenance mode and yellow mark is still.

0 Kudos
ncmsvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Dear vmware support,

I applied the below steps, but nothing changed, cannot enter maintenance mode and yellow mark is still.

Regards,

Ahmad Obeidat

0 Kudos
KamilAzmer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You must reconfigure the HA, to affected your configuration.

Sent by Maxis from my BlackBerry® smartphone

@ -- visit my blog at http://www.azmer.my -- @ virtue your mind @ KamilAzmer
0 Kudos