VMware Cloud Community
heIIvis
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade virtual hardware after a vSphere 4.0U1 upgrade

I Succesfully upgrade my test vcenter and ESX host to vsphere 4 with no problems. But arriving a the windows vm, I did the vmtools upgrade. After if I close the vm to do the virtual hardware, and vcenter tell me that my tools are not at the lastest version and the I need to do this step first...but I did it...

Does anyone ever meet this situation? I have the option to cancel or continue...but why the job is telling me that my tools are outdated when the vm is down? When the vm is up, the status of the tools in the summary tab is ok.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

after the tools upgrade, you rebooted, then logged into the Windows guest. From there you issued a shutdown of the OS. Once the VM is powered down you right clicked and chose "upgrade hardware"? Your entire ESX inventory is ESX4, correct? IF not, do not upgrade the virtual hardware until all ESX Hosts are at 4.x

0 Kudos
heIIvis
Contributor
Contributor

Correct, all m'y hosts are version4. I did just lie you says....upgrade tools, reboot, log into the os, shut it down but when I do the hardware v center stil says thaï m'y tools are not up to date....Any idea? Maybe I jus says ok and see how it goes?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

maybe while the VM is powered down, cold migrate it to another host and try to upgrade the hardware again. What version of tools are currently installed? The same version as your ESX Host?

...or while it's down, remove it from inventory, then browse the datastore, find the .vmx and "add to inventory", then try the upgrade again

0 Kudos
heIIvis
Contributor
Contributor

Remove from the inventory didn't change anything. I my test lab, I just have one esx for now....

The version of the vmtools on the vm is 7.8.6 build 185404. How can I check for the ESX?

What is strange is when the vm is off, the status of vmtools is not running. When windows 2k3 is booting, the status is out of date. At the login, the status is not OK....

0 Kudos
heIIvis
Contributor
Contributor

Strange thing...

Even with the error, I try the hardware upgrade...and everything went fine...no ghost nic...all the network settings are still there...and after I install the new hardware and power on the vm, windows never ask for install some new hardware and a reboot....is it normal?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

go to the service console of your esx host and post the output of

vmware -v

and

vmware -l

0 Kudos