VMware Cloud Community
lvln
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade vcsa 6.0 to 6.5 failed : There is no MA extension for VUM available on source VC

Hello,

I am using the linux GUI vcsa installer and try to migrate from vcsa 6.0 to vcsa 6.5 and I get this failed message :

-> error: There is no MA extension for VUM available on source VC.

I've checked that vum is regitered to the source vcsa and I guess there is something missing somewhere (vum service migration ... ??) to complete this migration.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pradeepjigalur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are upgrading a vCenter Server Appliance that is configured with Update Manager, run the Migration Assistant on the source Update Manager machine.

For GUI upgrade, you must run the Migration Assistant manually. See Download and Run VMware Migration Assistant on the Source Update Manager Machine

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
pradeepjigalur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are upgrading a vCenter Server Appliance that is configured with Update Manager, run the Migration Assistant on the source Update Manager machine.

For GUI upgrade, you must run the Migration Assistant manually. See Download and Run VMware Migration Assistant on the Source Update Manager Machine

0 Kudos
lvln
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, I've desactivated VUM from vcenter with mob and I've no more this requirement.

As bonus question, is it possible to selection the vcenter source has a target ? It sound a bit odd I know but there is this choice in the target possibilities.

Thks

0 Kudos
sanjeebkumar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

ivln,

In 6.5 we have integrated VUM with VCSA which was not there in the earlier vcenter releases.

>>>is it possible to selection the vcenter source has a target ?

Could you please give more details on this, what exactly the ask here?

0 Kudos
lvln
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

>>>is it possible to selection the vcenter source has a target ?

>>>>Could you please give more details on this, what exactly the ask here?

The question is obviously silly but I ask it any way : I presume that it is not possible to have the same vc to deploy to like :

-> vc source == vc target == vc to deploy the appliance  into

0 Kudos
sanjeebkumar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vcsa to vcsa will not work if the target is same vc which subject to upgrade.

In the next upcoming release we might add this, thanks.

0 Kudos
lvln
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can I deploy the vc target in a esx that is managed by the vc source ?

0 Kudos
sanjeebkumar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi ivln,

Yes you can do that.

0 Kudos
lvln
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Because, I've an issue where the 2nd stage failed and it says :

-> Esxi is managed by VCenter Server [ip source] Make sure the cluster where this ESXi host resides is not set to fully Automated DRS during the upgrade

And DRS is desactivated in my cluster.

0 Kudos
sanjeebkumar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes you need to disable DRS or make vm movement manual...its not guarantee the VM placed on same ESXi throughout the upgrade process, it will interrupt the upgrade if the vm moves to other esxi on that cluster.

0 Kudos
lvln
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The thing is that I've put the target on a different esx than the source to be source I would not have this kind of (resources space) issue but it seems to be stuck on for some reason.

0 Kudos
racom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

can I ask you how did you desactivated VUM from vcenter with mob? Did you unregister extension com.vmware.vcIntegrity only? Or did you disable VUM Client plug-in as well?

Tomas

0 Kudos