VMware Cloud Community
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade vcenter 4.0 to 4.1?

Looking for information on doing this upgrade, any known issues/glitches to be aware of?

Can I do an in place upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1?

Will I be able to just point 4.1 to the existing SQL database server after the upgrade?

Will I still be able to manage my esx4.0 hosts with vcenter 4.1? 

Any information or links to documentation would be helpful.

Thanks

Kevin

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Maximenu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello Kevin, I´ll response in your mail.

Looking for information on doing this upgrade, any known issues/glitches to be aware of? Not

Can I do an in place upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1? Virtualcenter unisntall your previously VC and then install the new versión.

Will I be able to just point 4.1 to the existing SQL database server after the upgrade?  Your SQL database will be updated with the new data or if you want...reinizialized

Will I still be able to manage my esx4.0 hosts with vcenter 4.1?  Yes of course

Any information or links to documentation would be helpful.

Thanks

Kevin

Javier Galvez

Customer Success Compute and Cloud

Joined the VMTN Community in Dic, 2004

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response.

Does it matter if my SQL database server is 32 bit? I noticed vcenter 4.1 now requires the use of a 64 bit odbc driver instead of the 32 bit I was using on 4.0. I am running vcenter server on a 64 bit OS..

Thanks

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
VirtualSingh
Contributor
Contributor

If you are running SQL on seprate machine, then I think does not matter. Both SQL 32 bit and 64 bit supported by 4.1

If existing 32 ODBC does not support, it wont allow you to connect or install, I think! ...If nothing then simply create 64 but DSN

Good Luck....I hope this helps.

trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, reading some vmware documentation I believe I can just create a new 64-bit DSN for 4.1 since 4.0 had to run on 32 bit.

Otherwise it sounds like a pretty straight-forward upgrade.

Kevin

0 Kudos
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Would it make more sense to go right to 4.1 update 1 instead of 4.1?

Thanks

Kevin

0 Kudos
sbentrup
Contributor
Contributor

I took a customer through this.  Can check out info here.

http://www.itbraindump.com/2011/05/23/update-vmware-esx-and-vcenter-from-4-0-to-4-1/

0 Kudos