VMware Cloud Community
lynda_timmons
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade vSphere from 5.0 update 2 to vSpere 5.5?

I am researching upgrading to vSphere 5.5 and Esxi 5.5.  Our present vSphere vCenter server environment has approx 100 guest os servers.   It has been brought to my attention that the MS SQL Express is not recommende to use with over 50 guest vms.  My question is should I install a new vCenter server with on a new guest os from the beginning with new W2K8 os or upgrade the existing vCenter server  and upgrade the SQL Express  and upgrade the vCenter server to 5.5.  \

Thanks for any info or suggestions,

Lynda Timmons

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would recommend that you install a fresh vCenter on a new guest OS, and also upgrade your database server at the same time.

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

I would recommend that you install with existing vCenter guest OS, and then upgrade your database server.

Kindly find the below attached file I have prepared for upgrading my VMware environment

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You should of course ensure that you have a backup of your vCenter database, this can then be restored to your new sql server.

0 Kudos
ruby12
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

you are in right track , just make sure have all config and sql DB backup  .

There is no limit to courage.
0 Kudos