Isgren
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade vSphere 4 essentials plus and vcenter server to 5.1

Hi,

We are currently running

vSphere vCenter Server 4 Essentials

vSphere 4 Essentials Plus

I am looking to upgrade our environment to 5.1 and is trying to find information how it works with the licensing when upgrading, We had a consultant putting this together before i even started on this company and i dont have any login or so to manage licenses at vmware.com. Is there any free upgrade or do we have to purchase new license keys from vmware?

Hope to get some help here to where to go next.

Regards

Stefan

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Didn't the consultant document what he did? Anyway, I assume you have a prove of purchase for the licenses? With this you may contact VMware and ask them to check to whom the licenses are currently registered and/or to move them to an existing My VMware account for your company.

Regarding free upgrades: If - at the time vSphere 5 was released - your subscription was still active, you should be able to upgrade free of charge. However, you can only do this in the My VMware account to which the licenses are registered.

André

Isgren
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have been in contact with vmware here in Sweden and i gave them one of our licenses so they are gonna check too see what acount and email that is connected to. As long as i can get the login to myvmware i should be fine. From there i guess i can purchase and upgrade the licenses. I assume we dont have any free upgrades because our SnS subscription is no longer active.

She was gonna call me back regarding login for myvmware hope she can find it out by having the licensekey

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... because our SnS subscription is no longer active

Whether or not you can upgrade free of charge does not necessarily depend on the current state of the subscription, but on the state at the time vSphere 5 was released. Anyway, best bet was to contact VMware and wait for their feedback to see what can/should be done.

André

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If your subscription was in force when 5 was released you ought to be able to upgrade to v5 keys at no cost.  Once you get yourself logged into my VMware all should become clear.

Take care!

0 Kudos