VMware Cloud Community
Toddlemmiksoo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade vCenter Server 4 to vCenter 5 problems

I am trying to upgrade our vCenter server to 5 from 4.1 ESXi. I ran the upgrade checker and it reported no problems. After starting the vCenter server 5 install received a message that it could not resolve the computer FQDN. I was logged on as my self (domain admin) and could ping by FQDN from my laptop. Is this a show stopper error message.

Next the install would not let me select the usage of the local system account for the Server service. We have SQL 2008 installed on the server using domain logins. At this point I stopped the install. Do I have to create a new domain account for the service and add it to SQL with SA privileges?

I have down time scheduled for this Monday to complete the upgrade of our vCenter Server.

Todd lemmiksoo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just recently ran into the "could not resolve the computer FQDN" error, and that turned out to be an incorrect PTR record in the reverse lookup zone. If there's a missing or incorrect PTR record, that could lead to this error.

Can you check the VMware Virtual Center Server service on your existing vCenter installation to see what account is being used on the Log On tab now? If it's not currently using the Local System account, you may have to use the account specified on this screen during the upgrade. If it is using the Local System account now, I don't know what to tell you about that.

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just recently ran into the "could not resolve the computer FQDN" error, and that turned out to be an incorrect PTR record in the reverse lookup zone. If there's a missing or incorrect PTR record, that could lead to this error.

Can you check the VMware Virtual Center Server service on your existing vCenter installation to see what account is being used on the Log On tab now? If it's not currently using the Local System account, you may have to use the account specified on this screen during the upgrade. If it is using the Local System account now, I don't know what to tell you about that.

Dave

0 Kudos
Toddlemmiksoo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Dave! The PTR record was missing in DNS.

0 Kudos