VMware Cloud Community
mac1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade vCSA 5.1 to 5.1 U1

I just started the update to my install of vCenter Server Appliance 5.1 (947940) to 5.1 U1

Started the install via the Web console (https://x.x.x.x:5480) and the prompt pops up stating "the update is installing, please wait"

Ok, so all looks good, but I am no 30 min into this and I see no progress.  No indication anywhere of any activity other than I can no longer connect to the web console and with the vSphere client.

I connect directly to the ESXi Host and check the console of the vCenter appliance and it is just sitting at the blue login screen.  However, it does have "INIT: version 2.86 reloading" where the login prompt is usually located.  I can login to the console and it appears to be operating.

What gives?  I have heard this upgrade can take a while, but shouldn't there be some sort of progress indicator I can check or something?  I am tempted to reboot, but I don't want to interrupt it if something is going on in the background.

Ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mac1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just came across KB 2031331 (don't know how I missed it!) and it again reiterates that the update can take quite a while.  Doesn't appear there is any obvious update progress indicator, but it did point me to the update progress log: updatecli.log which I can check.  In my case the log is still being written to, so the update is still running. There appears to be a whole lot of "Aborts" and "error" type entries, but I will assume this is normal for now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mac1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just came across KB 2031331 (don't know how I missed it!) and it again reiterates that the update can take quite a while.  Doesn't appear there is any obvious update progress indicator, but it did point me to the update progress log: updatecli.log which I can check.  In my case the log is still being written to, so the update is still running. There appears to be a whole lot of "Aborts" and "error" type entries, but I will assume this is normal for now.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just wait Smiley Happy  the update can take several hours.