VMware Cloud Community
terrydavid
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to vsphere at a later date

All.

We need to install and test a system for a customer in the next few weeks and the order has gone in for the hardware and the vsphere licences (enterprise).

Looking at what we need to get it working, some third party products are still to ship for vsphere so we are not going to be able to test end to end with version 4 on the hosts.

With the new licences are we going to be able to install a vsphere VI center and then install the two new servers as ESX3,5 - with a view to upgrade as soon as the products ship. The 3.5 machines will be the only hosts at the present time. I'm aware we'll need to install a licence servers to support these hosts.

Any thoughts gratefully recieved on issues that might arise.

TD.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Penic_Albin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

First you must check if yours 3rd party products support vSphere vCenter, if not go with VI3 vCenter. If you will install vSphere vCenter you should read this doc License Server Configuration for vCenter Server 4.0

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
terrydavid
Contributor
Contributor

The product does not actuallly require vCenter in any form so thats not to much of an issue. I was more concerned about the licencing situation.

However after reading though a few related posts it seems that there shouldn't be much of an issue. I can downgrade the licences and then upgrade them later.

Thanks

TD

0 Kudos
Penic_Albin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's true. You can always downgrade yours vSphere licenses.

You can do downgrade under VMware vSphere / vCenter Licensing

0 Kudos