VMware Cloud Community
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Upgrade to Update Manager 4.1 no esxi embeeded downloaded

After upgrading vc to 4.1 which worked fine, i installed a new vm for update manager 4.1. The exist yum database was replaced with empty one by the

update manager setup.

After the setup from the old vum server the data folder with the pathes were copied to to new vum server in folder data.

The I started the download of patches in update manager and it downloaded patches for adobe , ms and so one allthough metadata.

But it did not download the new esx embeeded 4.1 nor esx 4.1 (i have both in my environment.

Any hint ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
meistermn
Expert
Expert

This kb didn't help

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1005787&sl... 0 88958016

Could it be th esx 4.1 embeeded is coming later. But esx 4.1 should be downloadable.

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

How to do a re-run the Update Signatures task , without adding a host. IS there a command or button in Update Manager?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1008308&sl... 0 88958016

0 Kudos
pfuller
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing kind of the same issue. I upgraded my VC and VUM to 4.1. The setting came over, but everytime I scan an ESXi 4.1 server it errors out. I can scan guest OS that are not Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 fine. This has got me really puzzled. I have reinstalled VUM a few time and still the same issue exists.

I wonder if it is because there are now patch for ESXi 4.1 yet and VUM is freaking out about it.

0 Kudos
pfuller
Contributor
Contributor

I put in a case with VMware and since they are have release no patches,

hence met-data for patches for VUM to look at you will get the error.

This will continue until VMware come out with patches.

I am seeing kind of the same issue. I upgraded my VC and VUM to 4.1. The setting came over, but everytime I scan an ESXi 4.1 server it errors out. I can scan guest OS that are not Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 fine. This has got me really puzzled. I have reinstalled VUM a few time and still the same issue exists.

I wonder if it is because there are now patch for ESXi 4.1 yet and VUM is freaking out about it.

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

1. Did Update Manager 4.1 download the esxi embee4.1 and esx 4.1 release ?

For e.g after the upgrade of Virtual Center to 4.1 and VMware Virtual Update Manager 4.1 did Virtual Update Manager 4.1 download the

esxi 4.1 and esx 4.1 release to update existing esx 4.0 and esxi embeeded hosts?

2. Does Update Manager 4.1 download HP Esxi 4.1 embeeded?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3890173&...

0 Kudos
pfuller
Contributor
Contributor

I went and downloaded from vmware site:

ESXi 4.1 (upgrade ZIP from ESXi 4.0)

Use this package with vCenter Update Manager or with vihostupdate vCLI to upgrade ESXi (Installable and Embedded) from ESXi 4.0 to ESXi 4.1.

He one from HP will be like new install I think; I know it will update your alternate boot block.

0 Kudos