VMware Cloud Community
AllStateFastene
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to 7.0.3

Hello,

I'm upgrading from 6.5 to 7.0.3.  I have a few questions if anyone could be so kind as to give me some insight.

1.  Would I first need to upgrade the vCSA to the latest version, it is currently at 7.0.2.

2. I need to update 2 vmhosts.  Is it the case that I can vMotion from 6.5 to 7.0 but not 7.0 to 6.5?

3.  Is it possible to do the upgrade remotely?  Can I launch it from the vCSA or SSH?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

1. Not necessarily, but it is recommended, In case that you are using vSAN, always update the vCSA first.
  2. You can vMotion in both directions, unless you upgrade the VM's virtual hardware, or create new VMs on the v7.0 host with a hardware version that's not supported by v6.5
  3. Yes, the vCSA, as well as the hosts can be updated remotely. Make sure that your hardware is supported!

André

AllStateFastene
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help.  Can the Esxi host be updated from an ISO on a datastore?  If not, how?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In order to use an ISO image, you need to be able to mount the ISO on the host. Either physically, or through a server management interface like HPE iLO, Dell iDRAC, etc. For an upgrade from the command line use a supported offline bundle (.zip file).

André

AllStateFastene
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Andre.  The upgrade went very smoothly but on one vmHost we saw 550 errors which had to do with 5.5 VIB remnants from an old upgrade.  I had never seen that before. 

0 Kudos