VMware Cloud Community
piedthepiper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade to 6.0 questions

So Guys,

Currently SSO and Web are on their own VMs and Inventory/vCenter are on one VM combined.

How would the upgrade process work, my understanding is that:

SSO would be migrated to an external Platform Services controller on that same VM, and then the rest would be installed on the vCenter VM? As everything else gets combined together with vCenter.

So I would run the upgrade on the SSO VM first and let it finish and upgrade everything, then I would simply run the install again on the vCenter VM and let it upgrade everything and once complete I would delete my old Web VM?

Cheers,

Bilal

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

So I would run the upgrade on the SSO VM first and let it finish and upgrade everything, then I would simply run the install again on the vCenter VM and let it upgrade everything and once complete I would delete my old Web VM?

please follow steps given in following document

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-60-upgrad...

you are right, upgrade your SSO, that will become your PSC

you will be then ready to upgrade your vCenter server with external PSC.

It's been explained in above pdf document starting from Page number 78.

since your vCenter 6, web client would be part of vCenter management node, your existing web client which is installed separately won't be needed anymore after that.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

please follow steps given in following document

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-60-upgrad...

you are right, upgrade your SSO, that will become your PSC

you will be then ready to upgrade your vCenter server with external PSC.

It's been explained in above pdf document starting from Page number 78.

since your vCenter 6, web client would be part of vCenter management node, your existing web client which is installed separately won't be needed anymore after that.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
piedthepiper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Spot on, I was just making sure that since everything is joined together and installed as one management node that web client VM would be deprecated

0 Kudos