VMware Cloud Community
kevinvantilborg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade to 5.5 U1 using update manager stays non-compliant

I have a weird issue with upgrading my env to 5.5 U1 using update manager, after performing the remediate UM doesn't recognize the host has been upgraded and stays in non-compliant.

using the ISO to perform a manual upgrade gives a mixed result, a few hosts report to be compliant while most others stay in the same non-compliant state.

the upgrade itself seems to have gone without issues, build number is 1623387. we are upgrading from a mixture of builds ranging from 5.0 to 5.5 non U1 but the issue doesn't seem to be isolated to a particular upgrade path.

we are using the HP custom image downloaded from my vmw to do the installations, exact same ISO is imported in VUM. (profile: HP-ESXi-5.5.0-Update1-ISO-5.73.21)

does anyone have any idea what the issue might be here?

thank you in advance

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jgruenke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

17 Replies
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Its not an expected behavior, Can you please share some additional details,

-  Compare the VIB list in between compliant and non-compliant hosts.

- Check the details of non-complaint by clicking on More-details. This generally shows which will causing this status.

--Nithin
0 Kudos
jgruenke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Would you be able to re-scan the host after doing the upgrade and post the results of the scan?  We should be able to give you some help if you give us a screen shot of the missing patch.

I am not sure if you are in a Nexus 1000v environment or not, but I have seen missing patches outside of ESXi updates cause non-compliance.

0 Kudos
timlane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just recently updated two hosts using the HP Custom ISO 5.5 Update 1.  My DL360 G7 host says non-compliant, but the DL360 G8 says compliant.  Everything seems to be working fine on the G7 host and does say the new build number, but no matter what I do, the G7 host still says non-compliant.

0 Kudos
jgruenke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please take a look at this KB article.  This sounds like what you are running into.

VMware KB: Installing/upgrading to the HP Custom ISO published on 3/11/2014 sets the Host Acceptance...

timlane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

jgruenke Yep, this is the issue, everything is compliant for me now.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
jgruenke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great - glad to hear it is working for you!  If you wouldn't marking the question as answered and awarding points, I would greatly appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Sruohonen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Community!

I tryed upgrade one of our host in our cluster last week.

First I did have VMware-ESXi-5.5.0-Update1-1623387-HP-5.73.17 -version downloaded.

Upgrade went well, but after upgrade host was still non-compliant in Update Manager.

(Cluster has 4 hosts, all HP BL460C Gen8 - VMware 5.5.0)

After this upgrade I noticed that there is new version of image to download. (VMware-ESXi-5.5.0-Update1-1623387-HP-5.73.21)

Tryed also to upgrade to this new version, with no difference in UM.

Acceptance level is Partner in all hosts.

One wierd thing also, build number in other three hosts is 1623387, even that these hosts has not been upgraded with newest image!

community, do you have any suggestions how to proceed?

Br,

Saku

0 Kudos
timlane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Instead of the ISO, download the ZIP and upload that into the update manager and remediate.

0 Kudos
Sruohonen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You cannot upload .zip files to UM?

Only .iso´s...

0 Kudos
timlane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Import the ZIP in the Patch Repository, see image.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Sruohonen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tryed that, downloaded, done remediate. No success.

Or is there some special way to install/upgrade image via Patch Remository?

0 Kudos
timlane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you add the patch to a baseline?  Or create a new baseline to add the patch to? 

0 Kudos
Sruohonen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Added to baseline, witch are attached to hosts.

Edit:

Hope I solved it now. Made new baseline and added update to that. Then attached this new baseline to host and remediate it.

Now it shows green light to me Smiley Happy

/Saku

0 Kudos
timlane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Awesome!  Glad to hear that worked!

0 Kudos
Sruohonen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well... 50% went good. 2 of our 4 hosts upgraded good and UM says all is green for those 2 hosts.

But other 2 hosts still says non-compliant, even that I did exact same process for all hosts...

Now i want to hit my head to wall! :smileygrin:

Any advice?

/saku

0 Kudos
timlane
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Make sure you go back into vcenter and change the acceptance level back to Partner or do it command line. 

0 Kudos
ValencaGustavo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have HP BL 460 G8 blade server and I upgraded to ESXi 5.5u2 from ESXi 5.1 with VMware-ESXi-5.5.0-Update2-2068190-HP-5.76.36-Sep2014.iso

Before remediate the upgrade attached baseline, you need to do the recommendations in VMware KB: Upgrading an ESXi 5.x host through Update Manager fails with an error

0 Kudos