VMware Cloud Community
neilhdavies
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade stopped root logins to ESX console - passwd module unknown

I am posting this as I couldn't find anything relating to this issue anywhere and wanted to make sure people knew about it and the way I have found to fix it.

I have a small test farm which has been upgraded to ESX 4 using the Host Update utility. The upgrade worked perfectly and usage through VirtualCentre is great, however, some (and only some) of the upgraded bladeservers stopped root from logging in either by SSH (which we could do previously) or by the service console. An attempt to reset the password by rebooting to single user mode failed with the error:

passwd: Module is unknown

After some digging around, the problem appears to be in the /etc/pam.d/system-auth-generic. On a working box, the /lib/security/...... parts of each line have:

/lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so

However, on the non-working boxes, the line would read:

/lib/security/pam_env.so

This goes for every line, no matter what module was being used. When changed to include the $ISA, logging in either by SSH or the service console works. To be able to change this line, you need to boot the server into single-user mode which drops you into a root shell.

I just hope this helps other people who may come across the same issue.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Its a known issue in 4.0 upgrde, mainly observed in multilevel upgrades like 2.x to 3.x then to 4.0.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1013431

0 Kudos
neilhdavies
Contributor
Contributor

I did a load of searching before postng and couldn't find anything related. Obviously searching the wrong things. However, I'm glad it turns out to be the defined solution from VMware.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You followed the right approach, the steps you followed is same as in the KB. This issue is fixed in upcoming 4.0 U1 release.

**If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

0 Kudos