VMware Cloud Community
Memmo
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade plan from ESX 4.1 to ESXi 5.1

Hi all,
we are sketching an upgrade plan from ESX 4.1 to ESXi 5.1.
The cluster includes 3 Dell R710 hosts and the vCenter server is a Windows 2008 VM.
Since we don't want any headaches from a painful and tedious migration to a new vCenter and new SQL Express, we want to install a brand new vCenter 5.1 and when we're confident it's working fine (SSO, Inventory service and stuff) we'd start decommissioning the old one and start the real migration.
- Install a new vCenter 5.1 + Update Manager 5.1 on HostC
- Evacuate HostA, put it in maintenance mode, disable HA and DRS in the cluster
- Disconnect and remove HostA from the cluster
- Power off HostA, disconnect FC cables
- Boot from customized vSphere ESXi 5.1 ISO image for Dell R710 & upgrade existing ESX 4.1 instance
- Reconnect FC cables and reconnect upgraded HostA to new vCenter
- Evacuate HostB, same process...
- Move vCenter off HostC and eventually upgrade HostC...
Does it make sense or do you have any other (better) option?
Thank you!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hey Memmo,

Should work fine.

Boot from customized vSphere ESXi 5.1 ISO image for Dell R710 & upgrade existing ESX 4.1 instance

Wouldn't update manager make more sense? But then no harm in a boot off the CD and upgrading as well, now that I think about it

Regards

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
Memmo
Contributor
Contributor

Wouldn't update manager make more sense? But then no harm in a boot off the CD and upgrading as well, now that I think about it

Regards

Not sure if the UM can import the customized Dell ISO image... this is why we were thinking about disconnecting the FC cables, boot off the CD and start the upgrade process.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

UM can handle OEM installs as far as I can remember, but the boot off CD should work as well 🙂

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
NuclearFisher1
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if the UM can import the customized Dell ISO image...

Just try to import it first. It actually works. Smiley Happy

Maybe, not for any image, but for customized ESXi ones - it works.

0 Kudos
Memmo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you both Smiley Happy

0 Kudos