VMware Cloud Community
stanektool
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade order for 5.0 to 5.1.

I'm running a bran new install of ESXi 5.0 Essentials Plus on two IBM System x3550 m4 hosts running in an HA cluster.  My vCenter Server and update manager are running in a VM on one of the hosts.  Both hosts are booting from a local flash drive.  My storage is an IBM DS3500 SAS connected to both hosts.  All software is from the 5.0 install CD I got with the software.  I want to update everything to 5.1.1 through update manager. 

I've downloaded:

VMware-VIMSetup-5.1.0-1123966.iso

VMware-tools-linux-9.0.5-1065307.iso

VMware-vclient-all-5.1.0-1064113.exe

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0.update01-1065491_x86_64.iso

When I tried to upload the first file above I received a "Failed to transfer data" error.  I read the VMware forums a little bit and found that I needed the VMvisor iso.  I tried to import that and received a "Failed to import data.  The uploaded upgrade package cannot be used with VMware vSpehere Update Manager".  Firewalls and AV are off on the vSphere Server.  My questions are, what files do I need to download to upgrade my hosts, vCenter Server, Update Manager and Client using Update Manager.  Also, in what order should I be upgrading my setup?  Should I update vCenter Server and Update Manager first, then the ESXi hosts?  Will that update also update my VMFS? 

Any help would be appreciated here.  Thanks

-Craig

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Should I update vCenter Server and Update Manager first, then the ESXi hosts?

First thing you have upgrade the vCenter and VUM and then the ESXi host.

In vSphere 5.1 you have additional components which needs to be installed SSO and Inventory Service before you can upgrade the vCenter Server.

Suggest reading the Upgrade guide (http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-51-upgrade...

Also make sure the hardware is listed in VMware HCL and make a practice to check VMware Product Interoperatibility matrix

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vCenter has to be first because you cannot manage ESXi 5.1 hosts with any other version of vCenter except 5.1 (and higher).

Like Aravinds said there are a lot of other components involved with vCenter 5.1 that need to be installed and configured.

Focus on getting vCenter 5.1 up first. Then you can worry about the small things like VUM and the actual ESXi hosts.

I say small things because upgrading ESXi is trivial at best.

0 Kudos
kiran6666g
Contributor
Contributor

I am using vcenter 5.5 when I try to upload image 5.1 i am getting err

the uploaded upgrade package can not be used with vmware update manager

Any toughs pls

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Kiran,  Welcome to the community.

That's expected. Update Manager only supports VMVisor  ISO's of the same release.

~dGeorgey

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

Have you upgraded update manager or not?? I think it should be also 5.5 with VC 5.5

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos