VMware Cloud Community
Marcolmb
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade or new install??

Hi at all,

my question is this: I've an single esx 3.0.2 host and my boss want upgrade it to Vsphere 4.1.  It's a standard installation, no customization was improved.

Is it better an upgrade going from esx 3.5 or is make a fresh installation of vsphere?

Regards.

Marco

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

fresh installation is high suggested as there is no next version of ESX. it's best to install the ESXi version.

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Hi,

Not only would I build afresh, I would build an ESXi host as soon ESX will be end-of-lifed.

One thing you'll need to watch out for though is that your VMs are all going to need to be upgraded to new 'virtual hardware' too.

There are various ways to do this - but I'd make sure to plan your 'upgrade' very carefully.

Ideally you would like to have a new Physical box to use for this conversion too.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

Direct upgrade from ESX3.x to ESX4.1 is supported using Update manager or esxupgrade.sh . If you are using ESX4.1Update01 , then you have to upgrade the host to ESX35Update5a first and then upgrade to ESX4.1update1.

I agree with bulletprooffo, to install ESXi because latest stage ESX may get obsoluted

Thanks

Nithin

--Nithin
0 Kudos