Upgrade from vcenter server 5.5.0 build 1750787 to vcenter server 5.5 update 3

Hi

I am new on updating vcenter server, my existing environment as below

Windows 2008 R2

vCenter server 5.5.0 build 1750787

Now consider to go for vcenter server 5.5 update 3

just want to know some details

1. i downloaded VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.5.0-3000346-20150901-update03.iso

2. install it, it will go through all the process and update my vcenter 5.5 to update 3 rather than re-install / have to input lots of information?

3. After install do i have to connect back each esxi host myself?

Since i have so many concern on installing this package, because i am afraid it is a clean install rather than a update

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MKBA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's' an upgrade only,It will not wipe out any data.

Please check the KB for more info

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=205313...

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

If you have an external database, you'll need the info and creds so the install can upgrade the db...  a lot of the information will already be filled in, but you'll need to enter PWs again, etc. 

Make sure you've backed up the DB before you upgrade, no matter if it's the embedded or an external DB.  Smiley Happy

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
Keekee111
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information, may i know how long does it takes (around)

During the installation will it affect vmotion, drs such function?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Keekee111
Contributor
Contributor

Also would like to know besides DB username and password, what else information (username or password) or choice i have to complete?

The file i downloaded is correct? When i try to click simple install it shows I already installed, i have to choose custom install and vCenter is it correct?

Thank you again

0 Kudos
Keekee111
Contributor
Contributor

Updated the vcenter server to build 3000241 is that correct to fix the VMSA-2015-0007?

Since i didn't update the vspher web client but just  vcenter server

Thank you

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

It is just a small upgrade, a minor upgrade you might say. It is a matter of mounting the CD and following the wizard. Just note that during vCenter upgrade it asks for the database, and if you are using existing DB then make sure from the existing DB option drop-down the required DSN is chosen.

There is no requirement of connecting the hosts after the upgrade.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos