VMware Cloud Community
pingnithin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade from vSphere 5.0

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade our vSphere 5.0 infrastructure (around 30 hosts and 3 vcenters) to either 5.5 or 6.0.

Few of my friends suggested to upgrade to 5.5 as they think that, it is the stable version. But personally, I would prefer to upgrade to 6.0.

What are the challenges involved in upgrading to 6.0. Will the upgrade affect my VMs after hardware upgrade.

Or should I got with 5.5 ?

Background info :

We've the following tools available :

• Current vCenter is not using SSO. What are the challenges involved in upgrading this vCenter to SSO based vCenter.
  • My datastores are FC based.
  • I've the following tools available:
    • VMware vCOPS

• VMware LogInsight

• VMware SRM

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Regards,

Nithin

Nithin Radhakrishnan www.systemadminguide.in
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeremieM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

First of all check all the compatibility. It means that you have to validate that your backup solution, storage  and  physical servers are compatible with your target (vsphere 5.5 / vsphere 6.x and SRM).

For the vCenter 6, I don't think that there is a kind of in place upgrade from version 5.0.

It means that you should maybe upgrade your vCenter to version 5.5 and then to version 6.

What I recommand with your number of vCenter is to have different PSC. Instead of using a full vCenter, use external PSC is the best way for your architecture.

You can install new vCenter too and re-import the esxi inside too ...

Regards,

Jeremie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JeremieM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

First of all check all the compatibility. It means that you have to validate that your backup solution, storage  and  physical servers are compatible with your target (vsphere 5.5 / vsphere 6.x and SRM).

For the vCenter 6, I don't think that there is a kind of in place upgrade from version 5.0.

It means that you should maybe upgrade your vCenter to version 5.5 and then to version 6.

What I recommand with your number of vCenter is to have different PSC. Instead of using a full vCenter, use external PSC is the best way for your architecture.

You can install new vCenter too and re-import the esxi inside too ...

Regards,

Jeremie

0 Kudos