VMware Cloud Community
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade from vCenter 6.5

Hello,

We are currently running vCenter 6.5 with 5 hosts (Dell PowerEdge R820) and a SAN storage housing the VMs.  It is time to consider replacing these aging servers.  Our schedule time line is to buy them after July 1 and perform the upgrade. What class of Dell servers are you guys running now?  Asking this community first before I reach out to our sales guy. 

Our SAN storage is barely a year old and we would be using it for this new server implementation.

Thanks,

TT

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Giving you a reliable answer with just knowing the host models that you are currently using would required a crystal ball 😉

What I'd recommend is to run an assessment to find out about the performance requirements, i.e. if you need 20 CPUs like you have now, or whether new hosts with new CPUs and more cores will do too. What I usually use for assessments is Dell EMC Live Optics.

André

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I see your point.  I will use your recommendation and also Veeam reporting.  What I am also interested is to get an ideal of what class of servers that people here are using and happy with, not what the sales guys will tell me.

I am happy with the R820 for the last 7 years.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

For most DELL based customer installations over the past years I used R6x0, or R7x0 (my preference) server models, depending on the PCIe cards needed. The only 4 CPU server models that I've used so far were HPE hosts, which however had nothing to do with quality (Dell vs. HPE or others), but more with customer preferences.

André

0 Kudos