VMware Cloud Community
meniced
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from free to essentials 4.1 Some questions

Hi, I have read several questions about this but i want to have a more clear answer for my case.

I have a free license not installed by me of a 4.1 esxi. I want to install an essential license.

1) Do i only have to insert a license key?

2) do i have to install something or insertint the license key is enough?

3) do i need to be the owner of the free license key or the new license will just substitute the old one?

4) will all features be unlocked?

5) is it true that i need to reinstall esx in order to have service console?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

1) Do i only have to insert a license key?

A : yes

2) do i have to install something or insertin the license key is enough ?

A : you do not need to install a license server for ESXi 4.1. It only for older versions

3) do i need to be the owner of the free license key or the new license will just substitute the old one?

A : Not required to be the owner, you Just need to insert the key on the Host and vCenter server

4) will all features be unlocked?

A : Not all the features , Just the features that are available for the Essentials licenses

VMware KB: vSphere 4.1 Licensing and Sales FAQ

5) is it true that i need to reinstall esx in order to have service console?

A : I do not understand this question .? what does licence has to do with service console..? ESXi 4.1 does not have a service console in the first place only an ESX 4.1 classic has a

service console

Thanks,

Avinash

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

5) SInce it looks like you have ESXi installed the answer is yes you will have to reinstall ESX to be able to get the Service Concolse howver since VMware has removed the ESX version in vSphere 5 and going forward I would just keep the installed ESXi and replace the license key

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

1. Yes

2. No just enter key from verson 4.1

3. No

4. The features allowed by that license type will be unlocked.

5. Yes

Yours, Oscar

0 Kudos