VMware Cloud Community
kenshin666
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from a free esxi to a licensed esx

we've been using a free version of the vm for about a year now, we have 5 host already, now my company wants to upgrade to the enterprise esx . We are already using the esxi 4.0, w/c is the free version if i'm not mistaken. How do we go about upgrading it to the 4.0 licensed enterpice edition. any help would be appriciated. thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you would need to add in the Enterprise Key. This can be done through the configuration tab of the host licensed features --edit.

0 Kudos
kenshin666
Contributor
Contributor

don't i have to install something?that's all i need to do then?what about the add ons included in the enterprise?do i have to download them?sorry for my questions

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

the license key is all you would need to unlock all the features. However, if you are going to manage this host using vCenter, you would have to download and install it onto a Windows Host OS. This is a separate install. As for your ESXi Host, simply adding the Enterprise key is all that needs to be done.

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Since you currently using the free version, upgrading the license to enterprise should be straight forward process. Buy proper license, get the serial key and install it onto each of your ESXi hosts. If later you also have vCenter, you can do it from vCenter instead.

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

About licensing. In addition to the ESX(i) host licenses (per processor) you also need a vCenter Server Standard license.

BTW: Do you have your VMs on shared storage? Most enterprise features - like vMotion, HA, DRS - need shared storage.

André

0 Kudos