sfr1
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from Vmware 6.0 to latest for IBM X3650 M4

Hi Dears,

We are planning for an upgrade of current DC and DR which is running on 6.0 U2 to latest. Can you advice the steps. We see from the compatibility 6.7 u3 is the maximum version we can go for the IBM server. Any issues you faced while upgrading from 6.0 to 6.7 u3. Kindly share your experiences

sfr1_0-1642594418494.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
e_espinel
Commander
Commander

Hello.
Before any upgrade you should perform a full backup of all VMs and ESXi Host configuration.

The usual is to upgrade the vcenter server (if any) and then the ESXi host, for security reasons you must validate the compatibility of your versions (vcenter server and ESXi Host).

https://interopmatrix.vmware.com/Interoperability

It is recommended to use the server manufacturer's custom image. In your case you should use the Lenovo custom image (Lenovo acquired the intel server part from IBM).

It is also advisable to update the Firmware of the server.

https://vmware.lenovo.com/content/custom_iso/6.7/

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support IBM, Lenovo and VMware vSphere.
VMware VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI
VMware VTSP 4, VTSP 5.
Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как "Правильный ответ или пометьте Кудо ", если он решил вашу проблему. Спасибо.
0 Kudos
sfr1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @e_espinel 

Can we upgrade directly from 6.0u2 to 6.7 u3 ? Is there any issues observed while upgrade to 6.7 u3. 

Which way is the easiest way to upgrade. Do we need to upgrade firmware of server before.? 

Is there any restart of node required after upgrade . Can i get steps for the same.

0 Kudos
Giodomi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

yep, I suggest updating your firmware accordingly to the HCL and using the custom ISO from the Vendor to upgrade this ESXi to 6.3u3.
Update the firmware is not needed immediately before the upgrade, but I would suggest taking the chance of the update to 6.7 also to take care of them. The easiest way is to use update manager you just need to upload the ISO 6.7u3 from the vendor into it, and then create and update the baseline. 
The VUM will take care to put in MM mode the host and remediate them with the update ISO.

Kudos if it was helpful

GioDomi
0 Kudos