VMware Cloud Community
RicohN
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from Esx 4.1 to ESXi 5.1

Hi

I am trying to upgrade from ESX 4.1 to ESXi 5.1 using Update Manager. After the scan i am getting the following Incompatibility errors:

VMkernel and Service Console network interfaces are sharing the same subnet. This configuration is not supported after upgrade. Only one interface should connect to subnet.

Second error is for the following drivers:

oem-vmware-esx-drivers-net-vxge

oem-vmware-esx-drivers-scsi-3w-9xxx

I am confused as to ignore the warnings or do something about them.

This is a work environment with over 30 servers running, i have 2 hosts in the environment so i can migrate the servers over to the other host, and give it a go. But i still want to make sure before i go ahead.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESXi 5 to vSphere Upgrade & Install

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Jayden56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

As it say configuration is not supported, you must work on this .

Its misconfiguration of network ,try after disabling one NIC .

0 Kudos
RicohN
Contributor
Contributor

Well after some research, i think it is related to the drivers not being present in the Stock ISO image of ESXi 5.1. Since i have a Dell Poweredge R710 servers, i need to install a Dell Custom 5.1 ISO image, since it has all the drivers on it. I have done a Scan in Update Manager with this ISO image also, but its giving me the same error. Remember its a Incompatibility Issue, meaning that i can Force remediate if i want.

Little bit confused, some more detaliled help is much appreciated.

The issue with Service Console is related to the fact that  ESXi 5.1 does not have anything called Service Console, it uses VmKernel instead, and to be able to distinguish different jobs running thru VmKernel it needs to be on a separate Subnet. Much appreciated if somebody can confirm this aswell. Thanks.

0 Kudos