VMware Cloud Community
rtouillet
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from ESXi 4 to ESX 4.1

Hi all,

I have 2 ESXi 4.0 managed by a vCenter 4.1. We want to upgrade those ESXi to ESX 4.1. Is it possible with the update manager? Do we need to use the .ISO file in the update manager? Will we loose the VM that are in local partitions?

Thank you.

Renaud

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

I have 2 ESXi 4.0 managed by a vCenter 4.1. We want to upgrade those ESXi to ESX 4.1. Is it possible with the update manager? Do we need to use the .ISO file in the update manager? Will we loose the VM that are in local partitions?

Just out of curiosity, why are you moving from ESXi to ESX? Since 4.1 is the last ESX version and ESXi will be the future of the product, this seems like it might be a step in the wrong direction.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

you can't upgrade from ESXi to ESX. You will need to do a fresh install. But take look at vmroyales post. 4.1 ist the last ESX version. After that you will have to go and do a fresh ESXi install again.

Regards

0 Kudos
rtouillet
Contributor
Contributor

Hello vmroyale,

Because we have other ESX that are ESX 4.1 in the farm, and we want to have the same version everywhere. But thank you for your remark.

Regards

Renaud

0 Kudos
rtouillet
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Ok thanks for this answer. But I have another problem. In fact we need to install Brocade drivers. And with ESXi it seems to be difficult... We need to install the vMA... Do you see any other solution?

Thank you!!

0 Kudos