VMware Cloud Community
RialbSelur
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from ESX3.5 to vSphere4.1 Update manager issues...

I'm in the process of upgrading our ESX 3.5, 3 node, cluster to vSphere 4.1u1. I'm @ the point where I am doing the "Import Upgrade Release". I browse for the ISO, choose it and hit "Next". I get the error below. I've googled aroound and found similar issues, but they had to do with Login failure errors, not "Failed to transfer data" errors. I'm at a loss here. Does anyone have any ideas? In my case the the vcenter Server an the pdate anage are on the same box. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

HUerror.JPG

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

have a look at this guide and you should have more options in upgrading your hosts: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

It looks to me that you are trying to import the vCenter ISO.  You cannot do this. You have to upgrade vCenter to 4.1 first, VUM cannot update vCenter.

Also, what I would do instead of creating an upgrade baseline and then importing the zip/iso, is import the zip/iso in VUM a different way.  Go to your vCenter Home Page---Update Manager--Configuration Tab--Patch Download Settings--Import Patches.  Import the ESX upgrade zip/iso.  Once done create a patch baseline and you'll see U1.

Also, remember you can only upgrade to ESX.  There is no upgrade path to ESXi.  If you are going to ESXi, you'll need to rebuild the hosts.

0 Kudos