VMware Cloud Community
Aggy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1

Hi i'm really new to vmWare but am attempting to do an upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 soon.  My question is, will our ESX hosts retain their configuration for things like their network cards, swap file size, memory allocation for service console after the upgrade, or do you have to re configure them once upgraded?

My plan is to update vcentre/update manager, and then use update manager to upgrade the hosts.

Our infrastructure is:

3 x ESX Hosts running 4.0, each with 12 NICS, 4 x SAN, 4 x LAN, 2 x Vmotion, 2 x DMZ.

1 x Vcentre running on win 2008 64 bit 4.0, using SQL Express with a combined DB for VMs and Update Manager

Equallogic shared storage array

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

BUT! Will the hosts retain their customized settings from the upgrade, or are they created as clean when upgraded?

If ugrading using VUM, yes the Hosts will retain all their settings.  A rebuild would be just that, you would have to re-create all the networking and post install tweaks you use.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like your plan is sound... You can use VUM to upgrade too 4.1

However, this is just my opinion.  I would do a rolling rebuild instead of an upgrade, and you may think about going to ESXi, if you are not already there.

0 Kudos
Aggy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have contemplated going to ESXi but as i'm adding more hosts next year i think i'll do it then when i have a bit more experience playing with what we have!

This is stage 1, i'm doing to the upgrade to get Equallogics MEM in place to speed up things to our SAN, very exciting stuff.

BUT! Will the hosts retain their customized settings from the upgrade, or are they created as clean when upgraded?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If ugrading using VUM, yes the Hosts will retain all their settings.  A rebuild would be just that, you would have to re-create all the networking and post install tweaks you use.

0 Kudos
Aggy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great! Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos