VMware Cloud Community
BarryCoombs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade fails "/" partition requires at least 3048Mb

Having a problem with 4 hosts at the moment when trying complete an upgrade. I get the error reading "/" partition requires at least 3048Mb my root partition is 5Gb with 3.5Gb free. There is a local VMFS on each host with anywhere between 300Gb free on one host to 300Gb free on another. Hosts are DL380 G5 all with p400 RAID controllers and local SAS disks, i'm upgrading from ESX 3.5 update 1, have tried update manager and host update utility, Call is logged with VMware support but not getting very far.

Any ideas, will have to bite the bullet and rebuild with vSphere from scratch tomorrow, but would prefer to know the cause and fix, also concerned I will end up in a similar condition after blowing the partitions away and trying to install vsphere.

Cheers

www.virtualisedreality.com | www.twitter.com/virtualisedreal

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you found any of the above comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Output of df -k / ?

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
BarryCoombs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/cciss/c0d0p2 5162828 1304716 3595852 27% /

0 Kudos
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are you sure you actually have 3500mb free? if you are using df -h it will round up. Also, the install could be copying temporary files to the drive and filling it up.

The minumum required / volume size for ESX4 is 5GB so it might be worth a rebuild anyways to bring that up to 7-10GB to futureproof it.

---

If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

www.beyondvm.com

--- If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! www.beyondvm.com
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Perhaps it doesn't have enough free after it has staged the updates to the system? (guessing here - we usualy run much larger root filesystems).

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
BarryCoombs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just did a fresh install on a test box with less free space in / and upgraded and worked no issues. / partition was sized as per best practise at time of install, can re-install but would prefer to find the issue incase I run into it again.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Make sure that you are using right GA build of VUM or Host Update Utility. Whats the build number of update utility or VUM you are using? you can see it in Help -> About .....

As an alternative you can use esxupgrade.sh for standalone host upgrades.See the KB - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1009440 for the scripts and upgrade procedure.

:+: VCP,RHCE,EMCPA.

0 Kudos
BarryCoombs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue was corrected by downloading the vSphere and host update utillity and not using the one packaged on the vCenter install CD, even though they were the same build number!?

http://virtualisedreality.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/vsphere-upgrade-the-partition-needs-to-be-at-leas...

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you found any of the above comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

0 Kudos