VMware Cloud Community
ltstc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade compatibility Interoperability

Hi All,

we have a small cluster running esxi 6.5u1 and looking to upgrade this to 6.7u3, checking on the vmware interop matrix have come across the following KB referenced when going between these versions around a certificate store trust problem and upgrade failing.

Impact on ESXi upgrade to future ESXi releases of 2020 due to expired ESXi VIB Certificate. See https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/76555

We will be doing the upgrade using iso mounted to the hardware as its a very small cluster so no VUM setup and as its just 2 nodes doesn't make sense to go through setting that up for such a small cluster.

My question is as we are doing from iso boot would this KB still apply as I think its more centred around VUM or  updating from the CLI.

Thanks,

Lee

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

I was reading the KB and it looks that that error can impact in the upgrade even using the iso and with other things as HA.

I would suggest you to do the workaround and update first to the build marked in red below. Then jump to 6.7. (At least that is what I would do)

Workaround

In preparation for this expiry event, we recommend all customers upgrade their existing ESXi hosts to a minimum of the builds (listed below), which released after March 2018 and have the newer signing certificate in the trust store. Doing so prevents future installation and upgrades due to the signing certificate being untrusted.

• 6.0 ESXi600-201807001 (Build: 9239799) or later
  • 6.5 U2 (Build: 8294253) or later
  • 6.7 GA (Build: 8169922) or later.

Cheers

N

EDIT= You replied to yourself while I was writing this xD

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ltstc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Forgot to add if this does apply assume I need to go to 6.5u2 first reboot and then go to 6.7u3 after.

0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

I was reading the KB and it looks that that error can impact in the upgrade even using the iso and with other things as HA.

I would suggest you to do the workaround and update first to the build marked in red below. Then jump to 6.7. (At least that is what I would do)

Workaround

In preparation for this expiry event, we recommend all customers upgrade their existing ESXi hosts to a minimum of the builds (listed below), which released after March 2018 and have the newer signing certificate in the trust store. Doing so prevents future installation and upgrades due to the signing certificate being untrusted.

• 6.0 ESXi600-201807001 (Build: 9239799) or later
  • 6.5 U2 (Build: 8294253) or later
  • 6.7 GA (Build: 8169922) or later.

Cheers

N

EDIT= You replied to yourself while I was writing this xD

"Did you find this helpful? Let us know by completing this survey (takes 1 minute!)"

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
0 Kudos
ltstc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Nicolas for confirming so quick I did think this might be the case but wanted to verify.

appreciate the help!

VijayS01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I upgraded from iso boot and it worked fine

Ms88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same errer when trying to upgrade from the CLI. Can I boot from ISO to upgrade from exsi 6.0 to 6.7u3 without any error right ?  

0 Kudos