VMware Cloud Community
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade Stuck !

Guys Need Urgent Help

I followed the vmware upgrade guide (vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf) to upgrade my current 4.0 v Centre Server to 4.1 vCentre Server on another machine , backup and restore db method.

Current Setup

• 4 ESXi 4.0 Host
  • vCentre Server 4.0 installed on "Server A"
  • Local SQL Express Db.

New Setup

• Build new server name "Server B" and installed vCentre Server 4.1
  • Backup DB from source server A and restore to Server B
  • V centre services successfully started.
  • Tried to edit extension.xml file but found http://localhost entry, so did not modify
  • Install VI Client and managed to logged in successfully

Current Status:

When see from VI client 4.0 all looks good with all existing hosts seems ok but when tried to login from new vi client 4.1 then the problem below.

PROBLEM:

New Client see all hosts but in not responding status , when tried to connect host , following things happened

1. It tries to install Agent and then Reconfigure for HA then failed.
  2. Is it bcoz all host still connected to version 4?
  3. Do i need to stop all VC services from current 4.0 vCentre server? and then try again from new 4.1 server?
  4. Please advise whats the best method of switching over all HOSTs to new vCentre 4.1,

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Basheer09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please try below option.

1. Remove the hosts from previous vCenter. OR stop and disable the vCenter service for 4.0

2. Remove and re-add the hosts in your new vCenter 4.1.

Kindly consider clicking on "Correct" or "Helpful" if this information was useful.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Hi,

Do you still have the old VC running? If so, remove the ESX hosts from this, so that they 'unregister' themselves.

Once they have been removed, re-add them as per above post to the new VC. This will re-register and establish relationships correctly.

If you are trying to keep both VCs running concurrently, you are likely to get yourself into a world of pain.

One thing I can add is that it is worth checking that the services (on the VC . . in services.msc) have been set up to run as the same user as before and that the services start OK. I have found using your above migration plan often misses out this step (if you have a different user account for DB access etc)

good luck

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor

you both missed the imp point

VC IP address has been changed thats why HOSTS keep disconnecting

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Remove all the HOSTS from vCenter 4 using the vSphere client. Right Click and Disconnect. Then Right Click on the same Host and Remove. That will remove the agents and uregister the host from vCenter 4. Connect to the new vCenter 4.1 with the vSphere Client and add the hosts to the cluster.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos